A fabulous mold liner..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, like I said, I have used the Pringle cans but never thought to use parchment paper or plastic shelf paper. I’ve decided to try the PVC pipe and use the parchment paper for the liners. I am also going to check out those clear tubes that are used to cover fluorescent bulbs that Prairie has mentioned. Prairie, if you decide to use them, let us know how they worked out. I’m glad a started this thread now….and thanks for all the tips everyone.

I have the PVC pipe molds and i used those flexible chopping mats from dollar store....easy peasy. also the pvc is 3" sewer drainage pipe....6.99 for a 10 foot section....which is cheaper than the regular schedule 40 pvc but is quite a bit thinner .....my molds are 13" long and will hold 2# of soap batter.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for your input Sweet Bubble...Great to hear that the liners and pvc work so well...Next time I'm soaping, I'm definitely going to try this out and forget about the pringle cans. Especially since I don't have any and really don't need to Pringles and then worry about the extra calories..:)
jerry

I find that it helps to cut the liners an inch or so longer than the pipe mold. This gives you something to grab onto to pull the log out of the mold. This is especially useful for longer molds. Mine are two feet long and all taped up at one end, without the extra liner length to pull on I would have a harder time getting the log out.

Edit:

Oh, I see that SweetBubbleTreat showed that in her photo. Anyway, this is why the liners are best left long.
These are my favorite molds now.

Last edited:
I saw some clear plastic non-adhesive shelf liner at Family Dollar Store that I thought would be perfect for lining soap molds. I don't have any pipe or wood molds, but I think this is plenty thick enough to reuse and will wash easy enough. It comes on a roll, so it can be adjusted to many sizes.

Using these liners you can also use shipping tubes you get at the post office for molds. I have a couple that are 16 inches long that I use for smaller batches. They are 3" inside diameter, the same as the pvc pipe.

Last edited:
Just want to post an update of the fluorescent tube protectors I was directed to at Lowes... They are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO LINER! Slide out by themselves!!! No seams! I am in love. 4 feet for under $4!!!

The ones I found are made of polycarbonate. I don't think that holds up well to lye.

Yeah Kchaystack, that would be great for Prairelights to shoot us a picture of those tube protectors...I was just over at Lowes day before yesterday with my brain wrapped around a project I was doing at home and completely forgot to check out those tube protectors. I don't think that the lye thats left in the soap will hurt the polycarbonate, because most of the saponification of the lye has all ready taken place, but then I'm no chemist. I'm sure going to give it a try though but may settle on the PVC pipe using the liners as mentioned earlier in this thread, since I love the idea of the whole thing slipping out of the pipe easy peasy...so to speak.
Jer in Cal

Oky doke. In the middle of a new line launch and website probs, but I will jot down to take a pic and post it. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention that I was in CP for this. I used MP to make the columns. I will still take pics though and look at dimensions. I didn't even think about how my CP will like these tubes. Possible buzz kill. :-(

Total bummer!
I went downstairs to grab the tube, finally, to take a photo. The piece of the tube I used for soap was brittle and shattered in my hands! Granted I live in Colorado and it is DRY here - but it does look like the tubes would only work for a period of time and then fall apart. I still think it was worth the $4 to get a few molds out of it. I bet the single tube, which I cut from the larger one and used as a mold, will last me a month. The remaining section of tube I did not use is fine - so I can cut a new mold and still have more left. Do you still want a photo?
:thumbdown:

I don't think that the lye thats left in the soap will hurt the polycarbonate, because most of the saponification of the lye has all ready taken place, but then I'm no chemist.

Jerry, I hate to burst your bubble, but trace is the beginning of saponification, not the end. Saponification takes up to 48 hours normally, and can actually take far longer. So, there would be lye left in the soap.

May I once again suggest Crystal Lite containers as molds? I have people at work save them for me. They don't require liners, and they're re-useable, over and over again. They make a nice size soap, my customers love them. The sides come out nice and smooth. Just sayin'.....

ale and oats side1.jpg

Unfortunately our Crystal Lite containers are oval and not round anymore. Even the store brand stuff is oval. What's up with that...lol I finally broke down and got the silicone molds from BB during their last sale. Haven't tried them as yet. Plan on making shaving soap refills in them. maybe this weekend. I did like the smooth finish of the Crystal Lite containers before they changed them.

May I once again suggest Crystal Lite containers as molds? I have people at work save them for me. They don't require liners, and they're re-useable, over and over again. They make a nice size soap, my customers love them. The sides come out nice and smooth. Just sayin'.....
What is the diameter of that? I have some containers I get my Magnesium Calm in that might make good sized rounds - although I have my 3" tube molds already. I could share them though....

Unfortunately our Crystal Lite containers are oval and not round anymore. Even the store brand stuff is oval. What's up with that...lol I finally broke down and got the silicone molds from BB during their last sale. Haven't tried them as yet. Plan on making shaving soap refills in them. maybe this weekend. I did like the smooth finish of the Crystal Lite containers before they changed them.

If you look in the same section of the grocery store, there is some brand of instant ice tea that comes in a round container. I'm glad I have a stash of the round ones, and now I think I'm going to have to buy up some of the ice tea, just to make sure I have a few extras!

What is the diameter of that? I have some containers I get my Magnesium Calm in that might make good sized rounds - although I have my 3" tube molds already. I could share them though....

They are 2 1/2 inches in diameter. They fit my small hands nicely. They're also nice as half rounds if you slice them down the middle. I'm always on the lookout for anything that would work well as a mold, and these are by far my favorites. I'm going to be especially vigilant now that the round ones seem to be disappearing!

Latest posts

Back