95% Coconut Oil Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greensara

Reaction score
I've been making a 95% coconut oil, 20% SF along with some additives. It hardens straight away, lasts quite a while and lathers like nobody's business. The only problem I have is that while in the shower, my skin feels...draggy? I'm guessing this is from residue on the skin. I still use it though because amazingly, once I towel off my skin is so, so very soft. Does anyone else have experience with a high % coconut oil soap? How do you like it? Does your recipe have the same draggy feeling?

I make a high CO soap (50%+) as a gardener's, pot scrubber, window cleaning, and stuff like that soap.

However, my SF there is 0.5% and I cure for a long time to assure that no excess lye remains.

There's no drag, so it's more likely the oil than the soap itself. Perhaps a bit of clay as an additive would improve slip?

How long did you cure it for greensara? I made a 100% coconut oil with 20% sf before and using it after 6 weeks felt quite drying. However I revisited it after around 12 weeks and it was still really bubbly but much more gentle. I wouldn't say I found it draggy though. I used aloe vera as my liquid, maybe that makes the difference?

The soap cured for 4 weeks before I used it first. It's been longer now, but I can't say I notice a tremendous difference. The soap itself was silky and soft, it is a funny feeling when I run my hands along my arms (something I haven't experienced with other soaps). I've used aloe with this particular recipe, I can't quite wrap my head around it. With such a high SF I wouldn't imagine it to be drying but who knows?

I only make 100% CO with 0% SF as a stain stick, laundry soap. I tried high CO with 20% SF and didn't care for it and did find it draggy.. However, add 25-50% salt to it and I love them. I use salt bars almost exclusively.

Latest posts

Back