1st Timer Valentines Present ruined? Or just needs time-PICS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TessV said:

wow! i make very small batches of soap and at the most only have a cup or two of lye water out but i will make doubly sure that my kids are no where near where i am soaping. i do most of my soaping at night after they go to bed to be careful but occasionally i do it in the afternoon.

Yeah that was really scary! I don't know about using the vinegar on a lye burn, but what a terrible situation to find yourself in!

I'm not going to restrict my little one from helping, but we'll be doubly careful.

it was a horrid mistake, and one that really anyone could make - especially, I think, those of us who do a lot of soaping. we get complacent, our kids know not to touch stuff, etc. but **** happens. we MUST do what we can to try to avoid ****,

there was another horrid story of a woman who's husband saw a container of lye water on the counter and thought it was just water. he drank some and I don't believe he survived. i'm looking for that information now.

dangerous stuff.

you certainly seem determined to learn soapmaking and thats a great thing!

there are quite a number of 'grocery store' soap recipes that could give you an easier run at soaping..

from Smart Soapmaking by Anne Watson:
9oz coconut oil
21 oz olive oil
9oz distilled water
4.1oz lye

as with ALL recipes run it through the lye calc to be sure of the amounts..

I soap with my 12yo too..and he's probably MORE of a worry wart that ANY other 12yo I KNOW! and safety is ALWAYS in effect..

soaping is super fun and I am certain that once you get the hang of it she'll start asking for certain scents of soaps..

good luck!

so what did you gift to her yesterday?? in lieu of soap!

Wow that is really scary! Anyways I just used paul's walmart recipe found in the recipe section on this forum and it turned out beautifully the first time! I RTCP'd it though not HP :) The oils are inexpensive and easily available, it might be a good idea to start with that! It was my first try!

Back