1st recipe advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am formulating a recipe. Never made cp soap before btw. So I'm looking to come up with a slow tracing recipe to make peacock swirl soap using palm free oils. I read tallow, coconut, palm, castor, cocoa, lard, and shea can all speed up trace. I've read sunflower, soy, canola, corn, and Crisco can contribute to dos (i think those were them...). I want a more conditioning less cleansing soap. So....here's what I've come up with so far. I have most of these oils already in home which is a plus. Please advise your opinion on dos, acceleration, etc on this specific recipe. I plan to purchase a "well behaving fo" from brambleberry to cut the possibility of seizing, and adding my fo after light trace and colors are added. Can't afford the splurge on eo yet, if wondering.

Coconut 76- 30%
Olive- 30%
Cocoa butter- 5%
Sweet Almond oil-20%
Grapeseed oil- 10%
Castor oil- 5%
My first thoughts were this second recipe, but I am thinking it's not a great recipe after all with the shea AND coconut AND cocoa for slowing trace. Thoughts?

Coconut 76-30%
Olive-30%
Sweet almond oil-20%
Castor oil-5%
Shea butter-15%

Also thinking of doing the powdered goats milk addition after mixing half water into lye, and adding at thin trace the concentrated goats milk other half of the water mixture. If I do, should I premix and freeze the concentrate to slush? Thx for the help! I feel so uneducated right now lol. Hard getting into a new "thing" knowing NOTHING about it!

I agree. 2nd recipe... the grape seed oil can contribute to spoil. I don't use it in soap. Your second is close to one of all time favorite recipes.

a gm soap with peacock swirl for a first batch.. wow! quite ambitious there :D

please make sure you post pics. SB only emulsification only and start separating your colors. how many colors are you doing?

Was curious about the grapeseed and spoil. Thx. I didn't have cocoa in the second haha. I do in another and was thinking about that one when I typed it. I'll go for the second then.
Thx for the opinions!

The third recipe I had come up with that had cocoa butter was..
Coconut 76-21%
Olive-30%
Castor-4%
Sweet almond-20%
Cocoa-10%
Shea-15%

The numbers are almost identical to the second recipe you both liked, bit the cleansing is lower and the bubbles are a lot less, so I came up with the second recipe instead. Thx again you all! I need to stop analyzing and start making lol!

I was going to separate the colors in ramekins dispersed into one tablespoon (1/2 oz) of the almond oil that's from the total percentage. Then separate the base into separate containers, blend with wisk the colors, add fo, wisk gentle, and put into squirt bottles.
I need to read, watch, and print up my order properly. Right now it's visual education, drawing, getting supplies etc. My precise order isn't ready, but I think less is more with mixing when doing intricate designs to prevent thick trace setting in too soon. Ambitious yes! It's a hobby so do it right and do it big lol! Hopefully.....
I have ultramarine blue and green chrome pigments now. Thinking of a 2:1 mixture for a blue heavy teal, yellow Brazilian clay, burgundy pigment (it looks like wine in the cp pics), and MAYBE either titanium dioxide, or the opposite and do a dark brown oxide for the 4th. Haven't decided for sure yet, however. I need to save up another couple weeks anyway, so I have time to finish research and make purchases.

Back