Is anyone else here for personal use products only?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I consider myself purely a hobbyist, and make stuff for my own use, as well as for friends and family. I wouldn't consider myself a health nut, but I have an allergy that sometimes challenging to cope with- I'm allergic to artificial fragrances. It can be tough to downright impossible to find household cleaning products and personal care products that don't have any added. Apparently, manufacturers seem to think that everyone wants their homes and themselves to reek of fake flowers all the time.

Um... no, you aren't making 'chemical-free' products. Remember, EVERYTHING is a chemical, including water.

Um... no, you aren't making 'chemical-free' products. Remember, EVERYTHING is a chemical, including water.

True that!! "Safer for me"!!

I want to make coconut oil dish soap, and I'm curious to see what the actual cost will be, per ounce.

I'm wondering about shampoo, I see discussions about shampoo bars, and may try that, but I'm wondering why liquid isn't used. Shed some light??

True that!! "Safer for me"!!

I want to make coconut oil dish soap, and I'm curious to see what the actual cost will be, per ounce.

I'm wondering about shampoo, I see discussions about shampoo bars, and may try that, but I'm wondering why liquid isn't used. Shed some light??

Safer, yes, I'll grant (long as the products are made correctly). I feel much the same way.

I don't have any light to shed on shampoo, I use an alternate method to clean my hair. Maybe someone else will come along with something, though, because now I'm curious, too.

Self use, family use, gifts for friends, hobbyist here. I didn't start making soap simply because I want a safer product. I started making it for the fun of it and continue for the same reason. The fact that my skin is so much happier and needs less other products as a result is a plus that I was not even expecting. Only in the winter do I need to use any kind of lotion or such now, and that was a happy surprise from changing to my homemade soap.

Why don't you see a lot of liquid soap used as shampoo? Because it's about the alkaline nature of soap, whether it be liquid or bar soap. Although I believe that Zany_in_CO does make and use a LS shampoo. She posted about it in thread last month. There are plenty of threads here about shampoo bars, and some like them, while others do not. The only one I know who likes liquid soap shampoo that I've read myself is Zany, so maybe she will pop in and give you a more explicit answer.

All of my family members have sensitive skin but a couple of us also have an intolerance to Aloe Vera, which a lot of products include. I have to check the ingredients of everything. With my scientific background, I decided making them myself would be easier. Our skin is a lot happier for it. I also give to family/friends but have no plans to make anything to sell.

In addition to myself, and my family, I want to share with others. I have a Facebook page dedicated to "clean Living". If I can't Make everything for everybody, (I can't, sadly). I want to at least share the info on chemicals to avoid. I've spent hundreds of hours researching everything health/cancer/disease related (since a cancer diagnosis), What's out there, that people are using daily, without regard, scares me!!

I made my own laundry soap just to try it out! It worked fine but the grating was such a pain that I haven't tried again. It was just grated 100% CO soap with 0%SF, mixed equally with borax.

Otherwise I just use my own bar soaps and liquid soaps instead of store-bought. I use my liquid soap as a body wash and it works great!

I don't have any light to shed on shampoo, I use an alternate method to clean my hair.

Kittish, out of curiosity, how do you clean your hair?

For several months, I was using a mixture of soapnuts, amla, & shikakai powders to clean my hair. It worked well for me (I have super oily hair), but it was so time consuming. I just couldn't keep up with it.

Kittish, out of curiosity, how do you clean your hair?

For several months, I was using a mixture of soapnuts, amla, & shikakai powders to clean my hair. It worked well for me (I have super oily hair), but it was so time consuming. I just couldn't keep up with it.

Mine is really simple, and doesn't take any longer than using regular shampoo. I use baking soda in water to clean my hair. Rinse that out and follow with a rinse of diluted apple cider vinegar, then rinse that out as well. Done, and my hair is clean, soft, and mostly tangle-free.

I made my own laundry soap just to try it out! It worked fine but the grating was such a pain that I haven't tried again. It was just grated 100% CO soap with 0%SF, mixed equally with borax.

Otherwise I just use my own bar soaps and liquid soaps instead of store-bought. I use my liquid soap as a body wash and it works great!

In the near future, I'll be wanting to know more :bunny:

Oh gosh, everything I make for personal use (lotsa stuff) is all natural, or "nearly natural", i.e., I use a preservative for lotions and creams.

Earlene is correct. I love my all-natural hair & body soap and shampoos. I used a liquid shampoo today -- Flaxseed (85%) & Rosin (15%). What's funny about that is I made a dupe of Murphy's Oil Soap for cleaning wood floors, cabinets, etc and tried it on my hair and loved it! LOL Oodles of lather and my hair rinses clean, soft and shiny. The rosin boosts lather, clarifies the liquid soap and also has preservative qualities. Scented with an EO blend of Lavender, Rosemary & Tea Tree or Cedarwood & Oakmoss. I also use Hog Wash (50/50 lard & PKO) and Baby Mild Liquid Castile, Dr. Bronner's Type, scented with either Peppermint EO or Lavender EO.

It's very satisfying to be able to make just about everything you want or need in the way of care and upkeep for the ole bod, for around the house, and for special requests -- like when my sister was going through radiation therapy after a lumpectomy and asked for an Aquaphor type ointment to protect her skin. :)

While I need to cut down on carbohydrates :silent:, I am probably somewhat of a health nut. Not crazy or obsess health nut, but try to consume things as natural as possible for me, my family, and the environment. I have 2 sons with autism, and avoid certain colorants in food, gmos, and some vaccines.

Beauty products, I just make them for fun! I love a good challenge, and is one of the things I came up looking into research for preparedness.

Oh gosh, everything I make for personal use (lotsa stuff) is all natural, or "nearly natural", i.e., I use a preservative for lotions and creams.

Earlene is correct. I love my all-natural hair & body soap and shampoos. I used a liquid shampoo today -- Flaxseed (85%) & Rosin (15%). What's funny about that is I made a dupe of Murphy's Oil Soap for cleaning wood floors, cabinets, etc and tried it on my hair and loved it! LOL Oodles of lather and my hair rinses clean, soft and shiny. The rosin boosts lather, clarifies the liquid soap and also has preservative qualities. Scented with an EO blend of Lavender, Rosemary & Tea Tree or Cedarwood & Oakmoss. I also use Hog Wash (50/50 lard & PKO) and Baby Mild Liquid Castile, Dr. Bronner's Type, scented with either Peppermint EO or Lavender EO.

It's very satisfying to be able to make just about everything you want or need in the way of care and upkeep for the ole bod, for around the house, and for special requests -- like when my sister was going through radiation therapy after a lumpectomy and asked for an Aquaphor type ointment to protect her skin. :)

My grandmother was the daughter of American native Indians, and we had a soap growing up that was kind of blue with some stripes to wash the clothing by hand, and that is the only thing she used on her hair! She had beautiful long thick gray hair, and would sit at the edge of the bed, and braid it.

I wish you could share your aquaphor dupe? Is it possible? Is great for burns and scars.

You may want to look at a book called "Better Basics for the Home". The author was exposed to a natural gas leak and developed a lot of sensitivities, and so worked to rid her home of artificial ingredients and to be as natural as possible. She has recipes for all sorts of home care products.

Oh yes, I'll be wanting to pick your brain!!

Beauty products, I just make them for fun! I love a good challenge, and is one of the things I came up looking into research for preparedness.

I LOVE a challenge also, that's a BIG part of it for me to, and the learning process!s.

That's a BIG part of it for me too!! I also love the learning process!

You may want to look at a book called "Better Basics for the Home". The author was exposed to a natural gas leak and developed a lot of sensitivities, and so worked to rid her home of artificial ingredients and to be as natural as possible. She has recipes for all sorts of home care products.

That sound RIGHT up my alley!! Thanx!

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forum. I’ve been “lurking” for a couple weeks. I’m new to soaping and making diy personal products. To answer Laurabolyard, I’m another “healthnut” looking to get away from harmful chemicals. I look forward to learning and sharing

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forum. I’ve been “lurking” for a couple weeks. I’m new to soaping and making diy personal products. To answer Laurabolyard, I’m another “healthnut” looking to get away from harmful chemicals. I look forward to learning and sharing

Yay!! We can learn together! All I've done is soap (only 6 batches) body butter(1) and essential oil roll ons (a few). I'm wanting to know more about Zanys shampoo soon, bath salts and bombs, and I want to try lip balm and dish detergent!! I'm so excited to have finally taken the plunge, after having wanted to try all of this for quite some time now! Welcome!!:bunny:

I guess I could be considered a health nut. I started making soap because handmade soap was recommended by our pediatrician for my youngest son's eczema. That was over 10 years ago and I've been making it for family/friends ever since.

Latest posts

Back