Rubbing alcohol question!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vidasworld12

Reaction score
Hey guys ... I have a question if anyone can help .. I'd greatly appreciate it..
Where I am ,so far I could only find isopropyl 50% , 70% and 99 % .. not the 91% that most of you use... can I just use the 99%?? Is that too strong ?? That ash soda is really annoying me .. please help .. thank you all!

Good question. I've wondered why the 91 was recommended over the 70% considering that the 91% evaporates much faster than the 70, so the 70 is actually in contact with the soap longer than 91. Even when using as a disinfectant the 70% tends to be more effective for that very reason.

Oh really ? So it doesn't really work for you? Ya I just researched it and she comes up .. has anyone else used it and it doesn't do much ???

Cause the whole seran wrap sticks to the soap and flattens the top.. and it still produced the ash

I've been using 91% and I still get the soda ash on the tops of my soaps, but I did just order some 99% from BB. I have always wondered about this as well.

I've only tried with 91%, because that's easily available here, and cheap. But I haven't tried very hard, honestly because I always end up wanting to wash bars anyway after cure to soften the corners and make them shine. Ash comes off then.

ETA: I've also not been able to find a description of the mechanism by which this is supposed to work. Several pages deep into Google results is just the same catechism over and over on every soap blog. Never any reasons! I'd feel better trying it if I knew what it was supposed to do.

Hey Vida, I just checked with a well-known national soap supplier here in my area and she sells the 99% for soaping purposes. So.. I trust her and many here buy from her. (although, I buy it at local stores, it's Much less expensive).

ETA: I've also not been able to find a description of the mechanism by which this is supposed to work. Several pages deep into Google results is just the same catechism over and over on every soap blog. Never any reasons! I'd feel better trying it if I knew what it was supposed to do.

My guess is to form a barrier against CO2 in the air, since the reaction of lye and CO2 is what makes ash.

Makes little sense to me, as the alcohol evaporates quickly. Tho if you spray the top, then cover well with cling film, you are going to create a layer of alcohol vapor above the soap... I guess that might help.

But if the goal is to spray and NOT cover tightly - well that just lets the CO2 in.

Thank u everyone for the quick replies!!
I work for a doctor so Im going to order it from our supplier- they have it for about $3 - 100 ml only .. I haven't found it anywhere else .. except online - soap making websites.. but this is faster and cheaper .. I think I will try the spray and then wrap with Saran method and see how that goes.. I guess I could wash them too ..

Do you wash them once they have cured the 4/6 weeks ? Or right after Un molding them ??

Ash can develop very quickly, but also can take weeks to form; I've experienced both. I too have used a variety of alcohol percentages and noticed no benefit. I think the simple act of covering tightly with plastic is better. However since most of my soaps are still soft at molding, it takes hours before I can cover with plastic without smooshing the top and ash often has already started.

Gelling works far better in my experience, but since I prefer not to gel I've just dealt with ash as best I could.

I spray the top after pouring and before adding glitter. It does help seal the glitter to the soap. I use 91% as that's what I have. I find the best way to prevent ash is to leave it covered until after the saponification process is complete and the soap is cooled. The less contact with air the better chance not to get ash. I rarely get it and if I do it's on soaps that didn't gel and I couldn't cover.

Thx for all the advise guys.. did my 3rd Bach yesterday ... today it was ready but of course, even though I sealed it with Saran Wrap it still got the soda ash .. .. on my next Batch I will be using the isopropyl and will see if it helps a bit .. if not I will just wash them after the cure... thxxxxx guys !!!!

Alcohol has never worked for me against ash either. I've tried it with the 70% and also the 91%.

The best preventative against ash for me has been soaping with a 33% lye concentration, covering my soap with my mold's accompanying cover (which sits about 1/2" from the surface of my soap, for what its worth) completely gelling, and then not uncovering/unmolding my soap until it has completely cooled back down from gel.

Every once in awhile I'll get a very light dusting of ash on the top of some of my soaps during the cure, but it comes right off with a damp cloth.

IrishLass :)

I get it no matter what recipe, no matter what the lye concentration is, no matter what I spray or cover with, whether I gel or not. I just figure it is part of soaping. Family gets the bars unwashed. Everyone else gets washed.

I get it no matter what recipe, no matter what the lye concentration is, no matter what I spray or cover with, whether I gel or not. I just figure it is part of soaping. Family gets the bars unwashed. Everyone else gets washed.

Susie, I get ash too, but only on the top and it's a very light film of ash. I wondered about washing, but won't that take off the glitter on the top? I've only ever "washed" using a wash cloth and alcohol to take off smudges of AC after cutting.

Back