Alkanet made green soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyHomeSoapCo

Reaction score
Today I made my first large batch using alkanet root. I've used it before when testing natural colorants but today my batch was 125 oz of oils. The recommended usage is 2.5 tbsp ppo, and for my batch which is over 7lbs, I went with 14 tbsp. I used "cut & sifted" alkanet root though and not powder. I couldn't find much info online about using c/s. But I proceeded anyway. My infusion was with olive oil and the colored oil was 16.8% of my oils. My oils before adding the lye were a pretty ruby red as expected. I knew from research that once the lye is added it can turn indigo blue then settle into a purple/blue/grey. What I didn't expect, was green! Wth! I sure hope it doesn't stay green as it's a Lavender Orange eo blend, lol. Another thing I read, was that if the plain oil base was yellow, then it was more likely for the purple to be on the greyish side.

On a whim, after my lye solution (30%) was already at room temp, I added 4oz of flat beer. So of course my oils were yellow and now my lye was yellow. I was definitely expecting grey. Not green.

Has anyone had this happen?

Lavender Orange. I made two batches, one was orange and the other was supposed to be purple. We'll see how it looks when I cut it!

1429753339558.jpg

I had alkanet go green before right after I added it and before it gelled but after it settled to a deep purple. It should change back as the green is and reaction to the high pH

Last edited:
How much PPO did you add?

I used 14 tbsp of c/s alkanet root, infused in 28 oz of olive oil. Due to straining, I only ended up with 21 oz colored oil and I added 7oz more of regular olive oil. So the colored oil was 16.8% of total oils. I used the recommended amount of 2.5 tbsp ppo, but went on the lighter side, my total batch was a little over 7lbs (125oz).

I'm guessing that the powdered alkanet root is much stronger and more concentrated. So had I used 14 tbsp of powder it would have been darker?

I've never done it as an infusion. I usually add the powder directly into my oils before mixing in my lye water.

I added in 1.5 tsp into a 2lb batch and had a very deep, dark purple. I'll have to, see if I can find a picture.

I also added 1/2 tsp of powder to 2 lbs and got this color. I don't know why the picture is posting sideways.. It's much lighter than the previous soap and took on a more grey tone.

1430073612945.jpg

Yes, when I made my small batch for color testing it was very grey too. Surprise surprise, don't know why I was expecting anything different, lol

Oh good idea. Although I think I'll just keep it for the color it made, and then buy the powder as a tried and true purple colorant. Maybe I'll up the amount I use next time. I was worried of using too much before and getting purple lather. But I guess I'm back to square one with testing, lol

I just made a soap with alkanet infusion and it's totally green. It's been sleeping for 10 hours now, it's still green. I hope it changed back to purple soon! It's a pomegranate scented soap so green is not right.

Here's my second attempt at purple using alkanet root c/s. I used 14tbsp alkanet in my batch posted above, infused on the stove in 28oz olive oil which is 22% of my total oils. It gave me a very light lavender grey.

This time i used 16tbsp alkanet root c/s in the same amount of oils in the same batch size. However i decided to not make that particular recipe that day so after infusing on low heat for a few hours it sat for another day before it was strained.

Last edited:
Here it is. Much much darker and a little too blue for what i was hoping. This is scented with lavender eo.

Oh but that blue is gorgeous! I would love to see that blue in my soap :) I'm on the hunt for woad so I can get blues without indigo. I think those soaps are lovely :)

Latest posts

Back