Mugwort soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Has anyone used powdered Japanese mugwort in their soap? How much do you use and how did you like it?
I got a package from Japan and this was one of the goodies I got. It has a nice strong herbal scent and from I've read, it stays when soaped.
Think I'll try a small batch today, hopefully it will stay a nice bright green.

Here it is, I used 2 Tbs for a 1lb batch. The color went from a bright green to a bit duller green. I'll try to get pictures of it gelling. I can't tell about the scent, I have a bad cold but it seems to smell similar to alfalfa hay.

5oroqv.jpg

I bought the mugwort/よもぎ at http://www.cafe-de-savon.com (they're known for their acrylic molds- love them!)
I'm trying to look up info as to how much to use. In the meantime, I took some screenshots of pictures others have posted of their mugwort soaps. Here they are:ImageUploadedBySoap Making1425066388.759583.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1425066405.350588.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1425066421.370637.jpg

Oops looks like you posted as I was uploading! And looks like you're figuring it out :)

I just winged it on the amount. I usually only use 1 tsp ppo with herbs but I wanted this soap to have a lot in it and since the powder is so fine, I'm not worried about it being scratchy.
Thanks for the pics, its nice to see that the pretty green will stay. Kinda wished I would have held back some uncolored batter for a swirl, that looks really nice.

You can google "よもぎ手作り石けん" to see more pictures.
よもぎ= mugwort
手作り= handmade
石けん= soap
My mother is Okinawan and growing up, they used mugwort for EVERYTHING- cleansing, beauty, fevers, colds, and so on.
Report back! Let me know how it goes!

Love the color. Fun fact: mugwort is know for causing very vivid dreams. An old roommate used to make pipes and drink chai tea with mugwort. I can attest to it working on me from just hanging out nearby him while he smoked. There weren't necessarily good dreams, but memorable!

I find this fascinating...did some homework and in Asia there is another species of mugwort but the invasive, common one here where I live is vulgaris....which is the species some soap companies carry dried as a soap additive. Nice to know it has possibilities in soap as does another weedy plant in my garden...stinging nettle...the things I've learned on this forum...really!!

I find this fascinating...did some homework and in Asia there is another species of mugwort but the invasive, common one here where I live is vulgaris....which is the species some soap companies carry dried as a soap additive. Nice to know it has possibilities in soap as does another weedy plant in my garden...stinging nettle...the things I've learned on this forum...really!!

Lucky you! To have both mugwort and stinging nettle growing freely in your garden! I would love that. I use them for medicine making. <3

I have been hunting online but cannot find a mugwort soap recipe. I am still pretty new to soapmaking and don't know how to formulate my own recipe yet. Would I just use a basic 3 or 4 oil soap recipe and add however much mugwort 'feels' right? I don't know any other way, really. Or to mimic a mugwort recipe against another herbal soap recipe and just replace whichever herb with mugwort?

Thanks for your guidance.

Latest posts

Back