sticky sticky recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbarrett

Reaction score
I made a recipe and love the way it is after it is cut and cured. It is moisturizing with a good lather. It is rich and creamy. The problem is it takes WEEKS to be able to even cut it. It is s oooo sticky. If I cut to many slices into the loaf it is mushy even a week later. I end up making one cut on each end. Letting it dry for a couple of days then cut one more on each side and so on.

I have tried reducing the water with no help.

This is cold process and blended at about 100 farenheight.

These are p ercents
Canola 15
castor 5
coconut oil 25
olive oil 30
palm oil 15
shea butter (refined) 10

Any suggestions?

That should be a fairly firm recipe. How big was your batch and how much lye and water did you use?

Hmm, thats a good amount of water so I'm not sure why its so sticky. Do you gel? If not, you might try that and see if it helps. You might also try a small batch without the canola and increased palm, the higher amount of hard oil might solve the problem.

Not sure what it is to gel. I mix till light trace and then pour. I did have a batch that seized after adding fragrance oil and I had to plop itb in the mold. Still sticky.

You've given percents for the fats .... need actual weights for all ingredients ... fats , water and lye ... please. It works to formulate a recipe in percents but not to troubleshoot. I second the Lass ... doublecheck that you're using NaOH.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back