Suggestions on black colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapman Ryan

Reaction score
I would like to make a soap black in color. My last attempt was using activated charcoal, but my suds were black. Can anyone give suggestions on making a black colored soap that won't color everything it comes in contact with? Here's the picture which I think is beautiful.

soap.jpg

How much charcoal did you use? I use no more than 1 teaspoon ppo myself and my suds have never been black. If anything, they are just ever so slightly tinged with a very light gray, which would otherwise be quite un-noticeable to me if I didn't tend to over-examine such things in a very critical manner when testing my soap out. lol

IrishLass :)

I used 1TBS per pound of soap. It also had exfoliating properties to it, which I don't want.

I would like to make a soap black in color. My last attempt was using activated charcoal, but my suds were black. Can anyone give suggestions on making a black colored soap that won't color everything it comes in contact with? Here's the picture which I think is beautiful.

That might be a plastic container "Back by popular demand, each bar comes with the Erno Laszlo travel-friendly soap dish in glossy black and white."
**Edit: Never-mind no white on that, so it's probably the soap. Plus the imprint looks like a stamp more than a refined plastic mold.

We make a similar soap with dead sea mud and activated charcoal. It's our top seller and my favorite bar.

Here is a pic of our version, much less refined look -- I like the hand cut slab feel and look personally:

Valley.jpg

Valley of the Gods.png

Last edited:
That might be a plastic container "Back by popular demand, each bar comes with the Erno Laszlo travel-friendly soap dish in glossy black and white."

We make a similar soap with dead sea mud and activated charcoal. It's our top seller and my favorite bar.

Here is a pic of our version, much less refined look -- I like the hand cut slab feel and look personally:

Can you feel the dead sea mud, or is it like an oxide adding color without adding exfoliating.

I used 1TBS per pound of soap. It also had exfoliating properties to it, which I don't want.

That's quite a bit of charcoal. That would explain why the lather is black (and exfoliating). My advice would be to try making a sample batch with just 1 teaspoon ppo to compare. Below is one of my charcoal soaps made with just 1 tsp. charcoal ppo (it's a 100% coconut oil soap with 20% superfat):

IMG_6026CroppedGreenIrishTweed640.JPG

IrishLass :)

That's quite a bit of charcoal. That would explain why the lather is black (and exfoliating). My advice would be to try making a sample batch with just 1 teaspoon ppo to compare. Below is one of my charcoal soaps made with just 1 tsp. charcoal ppo (it's a 100% coconut oil soap with 20% superfat):

Nice looking soap, love the props and stamp. I also use about that ratio, a little less but it's swirled. 1tbs ppo is very heavy, a little goes a long way with charcoal.

Wow, those are cool bars. But I'm with you Ryan, A/C is a pain in the butt and I don't like colored suds either, even just gray. Suds aside, it is so powdery and persistent that I can't help but make a mess of it any time I get it out. This doesn't stop me from using it -- especially since I have almost a pound of it -- but I always kind of dread it.

Wow, those are cool bars. But I'm with you Ryan, A/C is a pain in the butt and I don't like colored suds either, even just gray. Suds aside, it is so powdery and persistent that I can't help but make a mess of it any time I get it out. This doesn't stop me from using it -- especially since I have almost a pound of it -- but I always kind of dread it.

I got a 1/4lb of AC this week and just by looking at it I know that the second I open it it will be everywhere. It looks fluid enough that later today I'm going into Fred Myer and picking up a ketchup condiment bottle that I bet it will flow out of. I'll let you know how it works when I try it.

The squeezey condiment container seems like it will work great for containment. I can control the flow and more importantly where it goes. Unfortunately I wanted to do a pencil line deal tonight but the AC just fly's right through the strainer I got to do them. Any tips on that?

The squeezey condiment container seems like it will work great for containment. I can control the flow and more importantly where it goes. Unfortunately I wanted to do a pencil line deal tonight but the AC just fly's right through the strainer I got to do them. Any tips on that?

Well first off, you need a really fine strainer. And second, I tape my strainer so that powder can only sift from a small area on the bottom; that helps control things quite a bit.

I use activated bamboo charcoal, 1 tbsp ppo, and I do not have discolored suds. This thread made me nervous, so I went to each soap I'd used it in and checked. Nope, white suds, deep black color, no grit. Whew!

Same here, no black suds.

What do you mix your ac with, oil or water?

I mix with water, then mix some soap batter into the water/ac mix.

I use activated bamboo charcoal, 1 tbsp ppo, and I do not have discolored suds. This thread made me nervous, so I went to each soap I'd used it in and checked. Nope, white suds, deep black color, no grit. Whew!

Where did you purchase your bamboo charcoal from?

Ryan, if you scent your soap with a FO containing vanilla your soap will turn brown - light to dark brown depending on the vanilla percentage. You can then add less black oxide, charcoal or other pigment to turn the soap black. This should greatly lessen the degree of having gray suds. I tried this a few years ago and it worked for me. Gray suds....:sick:

Latest posts

Back