My second swirl attempt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMyers

Reaction score
Pretty proud of this one!
Excuse the lights reflecting, it gets dark so early these days!

I just covered/wrapped this one. I didn't like the pebble texture of my last one, so I'm not spraying alcohol on the top. We'll see if I have a soda ash problem or not.

swirl2.jpg

Thanks everyone! I think the colors are almost as much fun as taking oils, water/milk, and lye and throwing them in a bowl together to see what comes out ;) Especially when they work out nearly exactly as I'd imagined. Good thing the holidays are here though, because I am running out of space for my soaps!

update: I got a little weird texture in the corners, and the colors faded a smidge. Otherwise, everything looks good for this one! I unmolded it last night, and will probably give it a couple days before I cut. :)

That is beautiful. My abilities are far away from there right now but how did you get such gorgeous swirls?

I wasn't kidding when I said it was my second attempt! I just used the recipe and instructions from the Great Cakes Soaps November (combing techniques) challenge. Without giving away the special sauce, It's a slow to trace recipe, with lard, coconut, olive, and rice bran oils. I poured the base and divided out a few ounces into 4 containers, which I colored (black oxide, TD, UM Blue, UMB + TD) and squirted those on to the base. I made a comb with cardboard and wooden skewers. Then I combed and swirled

I'm sure you can search and find some videos, etc. that give you more specific info. For me, it was worth paying the $$ to get the motivation to try by a certain time, and the detailed instructions. She puts them all up for purchase here: http://www.greatcakessoapworks.com/categories/soapmaking-technique-tutorials

Gray cloudy day. Not the greatest pics. Also, I need to figure out how to cut this slab in a more regular fashion. This all different sizes is driving me nuts!

1130141629_zpsx095t54m.jpg

1130141630_zpsfyyhqtki.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back