Olive Oil vs Avocado OIl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newsoapmaker

Reaction score
Hi! I have a question about Olive and Avo Oil: As far as the hardness of the finished bars and the curing times; are Avocado Oil and Olive Oil the same? I know the different benefits of each oil for the skin, but I am guessing they are both oils that make for a soft bar.
I am formulating a recipe that has Coconut, Shea, Castor and I am debating whether to use Olive alone or an Olive/Avocado combo in addition to the other oils.
Thanks!

I can't give you the really big picture but I can tell you what I know.

When I use AO at 20%, hard oils at >50%, and 2:1 ratio of water:lye, I have no problem at all with a soft soap. I usually don't go any higher than 20% because it is too expensive. I usually use OO in those same batches, and possibly other soft oils too, up to a max of 50%. My soaps are ready to unmold from silicone within 24 hrs, without much wear and tear.

I'm no expert but I really think the water discount and equal footing of hard oils lends a lot to a hard bar right from the start. HTH

I made a 100% avocado soap before, it was quite soft for a long time and didn't lather well at all. I ended up shredding it for confetti soap as it just wasn't very good by its self. Now I only use it at 20% or so.

I use avocado at 27% in some of my facial bars and 20% in many of my other bars. I simply adore avocado oil in balms, lotions, soaps, and everything else! It is only bad for someone allergic to avocados. :p Am not a huge fan of olive oil and use it not over 20% unless making 100% castile soap. Canola I use a lot and have actually kept bars for a year with no dos issues but I do add in roe

Back