dead sea mud, weird search

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozarkscents

Reaction score
I tried to search for the term "dead sea mud" and the search function didn't search on either sea or mud, said they were too common or too short. What kind of weird (and useless :-x) search is that?

Anyway, I was wondering if I could use some dead sea mud in a soap recipe? I've never made a salt bar, maybe I'll try to incorporate the dead sea mud in a salt bar? Is this possible?

Thanks for any words of advice!

Terry

Yes, you can use dead sea mud in soap. I'm not sure how much but we have a member here who uses it a lot, hopefully she will come along and give you better advice.

......What kind of weird (and useless :-x) search is that?......

Well, as this is a soaping forum and not a search engine, the search function will of course be a bit limited. Small words are filtered out so that commonly used connecting words are not included.

The sticky on 'How to search SMF like a pro' has a link to a method of searching that is purpose built for it and therefore much more powerful.

I use Google to search...I find it easier. Do it like this in the Google search box...

Dead sea mud site: soapmakingforum

See if that helps.

love dead sea mud (dsm) in soaps! i use it quite often, and often paired it with activated charcoal. my dsm is the wet variety, there is also a powdered one. common use is 1 tsp-1 Tbsp ppo if i'm not mistaken. i usually 'wet' the mud in some water first, and add it to my batter pre trace.

I love dead sea mud. I want to try it in a salt bar and in a 100% olive oil bar sometime.

The bar below is dead sea mud through the entire thing and some activated charcoal swirled in. (valley of the gods soap bar)

Valley.jpg

DSCN5142.jpg

Last edited:
I love dead sea mud. I want to try it in a salt bar and in a 100% olive oil bar sometime.

The bar below is dead sea mud through the entire thing and some activated charcoal swirled in. (valley of the gods soap bar)

Very nice, I really like DSM soap, I've never used charcoal. Do you just use one of your favorite recipes and then add the charcoal? Do you use wet or powder?

I use the "wet mud" actually I didn't know there was powder.

Is it dead sea salt that is bad for soap? If so I thought it was because of the mineral content on the dead sea (more magnesium or something) does the mud not have the same minerals in it?

Well, as this is a soaping forum and not a search engine, the search function will of course be a bit limited. Small words are filtered out so that commonly used connecting words are not included.

The sticky on 'How to search SMF like a pro' has a link to a method of searching that is purpose built for it and therefore much more powerful.

I just found that! Works like a charm! :smile:

Terry

Using dead sea salt for a salt bar is a bad idea but the mud is ok, you use it at a much smaller %

Just wondering why using Dead Sea salt in salt soaps is a bad idea?

I'm currently using one that I Made with Dead Sea salt and I'm not having an issue with it,.....?

Lather is good and the soap feels good. 95% coconut oil, 5% castor and 10% SF.

Oh not much at all. Let me do the math......... I don't do lb per lb though I know some do and gave great luck.

I used just under a kg( so 2lbs) of salt to 7-8 ish lbs of finished soap. And more accurately, each 2lb batch of soap had about 1\2 lb of salt. I used a super find grind.

I haven't seen any weeping but I'll keep an eye on them for sure. The only time I had weeping was from table salt when I used what my dad had at his house, he also lived in a very humid area so I had attributed it to that but the bars were covered in droplets. It may have been the table salt... ? And I Haven't used that since!

Usually just super super fine Himalayan pink salt (which I don't find scratchy and I run it through my grinder to make it even finer) but I was out and thought I'd use the dss I had on hand.

You can use dss in smaller amounts, seems like you found a nice number but I wouldn't go much higher. Salt bars are known to weep in high humidity, regardless of what kind of salt used. I've used table salt, canning salt, sea salt and kosher salt all with no problems.

Back