For those with dehumidifiers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not trying to cure faster, but just trying to keep a steady environment for the curing soaps. The room was 70% humid and my soaps were weeping a bit when cut and put on the rack. I set it to 45% and emptied the tub several times a day. Now I have it at 55% as I only empty the tub every 1 or 2 days. Just wasn't sure what others were doing for their soap room

This reminds me of an old apartment I used to live in -- NO VENTILATION at all, whatsoever. Any humidity that got put in the air stayed there -- showering, cooking, clothes washing, etc. The walls used to constantly drip because it was so humid. I got a dehumidifier because I was sick of the bedsheets constantly feeling damp and cold. The dehumidifier told me how humid the room was -- 100%. Anyhow, I kept the dehumidifier at 25%, and it worked hard to keep the humidity down. I think it stayed around 35% running constantly. It was definitely more comfortable. The place felt warmer because the furniture wasn't damp.

FYI, most de-humidifiers have a spout on the side. You can get a pump and attach a tube to the spout, and run the tube into a drain. Something to condsider if emptying it is a hassle.

I don't think that the dehumidifier helps the soaps CURE faster, but I do think it helps them DRY faster. And I also think that a humid environment when curing can contribute to DOS. I've never had a bar develop DOS from being in the shower, but I have had them develop DOS from being stored in the basement.

Not really soaping-related, but it's good to have a "dehumidified" room in general!
It prevents mold from forming (but doesn't get rid of any existing mold!)

I have a gauge that measures humidity and try to keep the setting at around 50 - 60%

Latest posts

Back