ideas for toddler soaps, lotions, oils, etc. please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Mountain Soaps

Reaction score
Hi there,
my brother and his wife are in the process of adopting a two year old boy and his six month old sister. I am super excited for them, and havent been able to meet the children yet as they live out of state. I had the idea today of making them little gifts of fun bath time soaps, lotions for chaffing, etc. Do you have any ideas/recipes that you would like to share or can point me to? thank you so much in advance!

Pinterest and youtube maybe? Hopefully somebody may give you more ideas. I haven't made any soapy things for children.

Sweet almond oil is said to be good as a baby oil and Castile soap is pretty gentle on a baby's skin (so I've read). I honestly never made anything for a baby, but I did try my hand with an olive-palm combo that should be finished curing by now. I would also stay on the safe side with CO (maybe 10%-15%) since it may make too strong a soap for a baby.

If you have a problem with using palm, there is always tallow/lard. I heard that tallow and lard can make a mild soap, but I know that the latter adds the nicest lather I've ever experienced. There are also butters like cocoa and shea if animial fats aren't your forte.

Hi there,
my brother and his wife are in the process of adopting a two year old boy and his six month old sister. I am super excited for them, and havent been able to meet the children yet as they live out of state. I had the idea today of making them little gifts of fun bath time soaps, lotions for chaffing, etc. Do you have any ideas/recipes that you would like to share or can point me to? thank you so much in advance!

I'm a super newbie, so take this fwiw...I'd start with a castille or Bastille recipe.

Congrats to your brother and sister-in-law on their new family! God bless them :)

That is wonderful news!

Have you ever been interested in bath bombs or other fizzy bath items? Young children like that, however probably not appropriate for a six month old.

Somewhere on the internet I've seen a blog for homemade crayon type soap....used to write on the walls of the bathtub.

Hey! I know WSP has a liquid soap base that is good for suspending stuff in. You could make the toddler a bottle of clear scented liquid soap and suspend plastic snakes in it (I think they even sell the little plastic snakes). I know it isn't fully home made that way, but it sure is cute!

WSP has rubber ducks you can put on the top of soaps. I made some for my niece last year there are pics in the soap registry.

Sorry that it has taken so long to write back, but thank you all for your responses. The snakes and ducks sound like such a fun idea. im going to have to do some creative thinking as to how to implement fun things like that. I like the idea of a liquid soap with icky critters in it. I think he would get a kick out of that :) thanks everyone!

What about searching Pinterest for a recipe for tub/body paint soap or bath crayons? I'm sure I've seen them on there before...

im thinking along that route as well when it comes to lye. I think i might look into m&p for them, and then the crayon soaps look fun too. I wont be able to much money into it, so it may have to be made out of what i have, or it will have to wait a while.

Back