Embarrassed to ask......

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godschild

Reaction score
Ok here goes. If this isn't allowed, plz gimme help then remove ;) I'm trying to make some natural lube that can also be used as a massage oil. I have rice bran oil, coconut oil, and canola oil. The only preservative I have is Poly 80. What percentage of any of these oils would be good to use and is the poly a good preservative? I also have T-50. How much of each oil and preservative would you use if you wanted to make say, a gallon? And no, I won't be using this all by myself lolol. My cousin sells adult goodies and asked for some to sell along with them. Help plz. I have bullet bottles that I had planned to use for perfume but could use them for this instead so I won't have to order any containers. Don't have a clue what to call it either brahahahahaha.

poly 80 is a emulisifer not a preservative. I would really not risk making such until you have done a lot of research. There is a lot to consider when it comes to what will work, possible infections, oils do not work with all personal products... I will not continue just due to sensitivities. This is something best left to labs and proven products. Just my opinion.

maybe go to your local adult toy store and look for some natural lubes, see what ingredients they use? that's all I can offer you on formulation side....

I understand Carolyn. I have tried to find materials to learn from and so far all I've found is that oils break doodads and that coconut oil is good for you know whats. I'll keep researching. I have planned to put a warning about oil/latex on them. They will be sold under her label, not mine that's for sure.

Thanks LunaSkye. I've read so far that coconut oil mixed with vit e (and a couple drops of peppermint oil) makes a good antibacterial/antifungal choice and so does sodium alginate. Still reading.

Found a water based one that uses xanthan gum, glycerin, gse, and water. If I used this recipe, what preservative would work better than gse since gse isn't really a preservative?

I hate to be a party pooper here, but I would think 3 times before doing this. All you need is one person to ignore the label on the oil based massage product and get something they did not want, and you get a lawsuit.

I wouldn't make it to sell but Nature's Garden has a flavored lubricant on their website. You could give your friend the recipe and let her make it herself at her own risk.

Because you are putting this product on mucus membranes, it is almost as if it is ingested. Actually, more pathogens would be destroyed in the gut. Plus, you need to very carefully consider any flavorings and scents you use. They need to be safe for internal use. The thought of peppermint EO there? Nope, not no way, not no how.

The liability is far to great (IMHO) to take on this kind of risk.

Glad you have thought twice. It's an interesting idea, but the ins and outs of the industry are very complex - for one thing, I think it would be classed as a drug product which would require approval and that is a very slippery slope. I am not overly well versed in the FDA reqs, but I am imagining a lot of barriers and there being always some new issue that would rear it's ugly head.

I wouldn't do it, personally.

Thanks LunaSkye. I've read so far that coconut oil mixed with vit e (and a couple drops of peppermint oil) makes a good antibacterial/antifungal choice and so does sodium alginate. Still reading.

Just the thought of peppermint oil and lube makes me want to cross my legs! :shock: LOL

Just extra virgin coconut oil on it's own is a safe and successful lube ... Plus it has it's own natural pleasant taste and smell ☺️

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tILYacYG40Y&list=UUvp1J0Tweo54mcV2dNfkpRw[/ame]

Presents a unique marketing opportunity.

Latest posts

Back