Can i do this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am planning my future batch, for next weekend.
It calls for 3.2 oz lye, and I choose a 40% water per pound oil weight totaling 9.6 oz. I am using such a high water amount for a reason you will see.

I want to use goats milk, Avocado Puree, and water.
My goats milk is concentrate, and to reconstitute it you do 1:1 water to milk.

I want to dissolve my 3.2 oz of lye into my water of 3.2 oz. Then put my cold goats milk concentrate into my melted oils at 3.2 oz (for my 1:1 ratio).

I then want to split the batch into 4 containers.

QUESTIONS:

1.can I add the remaining water as 3.2 oz of avocado puree to 1/4th the batter or does the "water amount" need even distribution throughout the soap and the avocado puree needs to go into the entire oils lye mixture?

2.is this 40% too much liquids?

3. Can I instead add 3.2 oz lye into 3 oz water, and instead use 3 oz avocado puree, and take the .4 oz liquid I removed (which is a tad less than 1 TBS) and use it as water for dispersing clay into another 1/4 of the batter, or does lye to water HAVE to be mixed NO LESS THAN a 1:1 ratio?

I hope these are clear questions. Speaking in terms of soaping, it can sound confusing sometimes :razz: **see comments for better explanation

Last edited:
Your liquid needs to be evenly distributed throughout your oils. I wouldn't go any lower than 1:1 with your water/lye. I usually do 2:1 just to make sure it dissolves completely. I prefer to soap at 33-35%. Works best for me. I add the additional liquid to my oils (generally a milk). I would just use a tad bit more water to disperse your clay. HTH.

Thx shunt. So let me ask....I did the math. The goats milk and water at 6.4 oz total, my original scenario, will be a little over 26% water per oil wt for the entire batch and will be dispersed throughout the entire batch. The avocado puree, since it is high in water content and is "typically" added as a water amount in soaps, it is additional to the others so I calculated it as a "water amount" in spite of the fact I want it only in 1/4 the batter.

So goat milk+water = 6.4 oz or 26+% water of oil wt
Avocado Puree =3.2 oz bumping the total water amount to 40% but only in 1/4 of the batter....so will this separate and pool I suppose is my question?

And add an extra tbs water to the clay for good measure, to disperse into 1/4 the batter

Would this work, or will the avocado puree potentially separate, and will that extra tbs of water in the clay be soooo much liquid it will never harden lol? Thx!

Last edited:
I think adding the avocado to just a portion may cause you some issues. I've not tried adding additional liquids to just a part of my batch so can't answer that. You may just want to give it a shot and see what happens May also cure weirdly due to more liquid in just a portion and it will be softer for sure.

The latest batch is it. I did a water as % of oils at 32% with 4 oz GM concentrate, 3.5 oz water, used 1/2 oz water to dissolve TD and bentonite clay, and the total was 8oz. I calculated a 2oz avocado puree into the water calculations, and it brought my water as % of oils up to 40%.

I then used 1.2 oz avocado puree in one portion of the batter. Since I intended on 2 oz avocado and realized I had only 1.2oz, I made up the rest as water to fully dissolve the clay because I hadn't used enough as it was.
So total water ended up 40% split between gm concentrate water and avocado puree.

The batter was a total wt of 39.488 per soapcalc precure oz, and I split. 16+ oz for my itp with TD, and my itp swirls were split into 8oz with activated charcoal, 8oz of bentonite clay colored, and less than 7oz with avocado puree added.

I used a high water amount so it will take longer to cure, but it seems to have worked! Avocado is so high in fats, I think it added to the oils amount just as much as it did the water amount.

I tried reading my notes accurately to let you know what I did, but I might have mistyped something because my notes were very messy. Need to rewrite for ease of read!

Latest posts

Back