Thoughts on adding Oatmeal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NittyGritty

Reaction score
I'm going to try some oatmeal soap and wondering if I should add the oatmeal whole or ground, or if it matters? Is it personal preference?

My mom gave me some Scottish soap with coarsely ground oatmeal in it. It hurts so it's only hand soap lol. Keep that into consideration. I prefer it finely ground personally.

i like oat flour. the finer the better.

I have to agree, the finer the better. I would never use soap with whole oatmeal, not even if its just a top decoration.

I just made some batches with oatmeal. It wasn't ground fine enough and it is very scratchy.

I have mosquito bites and dry itchy skin so the scratchin' feels good. But it's not what I was going for.

Fine. Very fine !! Scratchy is ok for garden soap Like the idea of oatmeal in soap but don't intend to do a second batch, however it does have label appeal.

When making most of my oatmeal soaps I also use baby oatmeal then put it in my bullet with whatever milk I happen to be using for the batch. On the other side of the spectrum I make an extra scrubby mud bar with lots and lots of whole quick cooking oatmeal that I regularly sell out of and customers come back for more. I do find the quick whole oats are not as sharp as grinding oatmeal. I do not like steel cut oats even in my extra scrubby soap

Using Oatmeal

My preference is colloidal oatmeal (which is NOT another name for finely ground oatmeal). Colloidal oatmeal is a specially prepared form of oatmeal that mixes better with creams, lotions,http://dermnetnz.org/treatments/topical-formulations.html and water. It is produced by finely grinding the oat and boiling it to extract the colloidal material.

When I can't get real colloidal oatmeal, I like Gerber babyfood oatmeal - it is so finely ground it is like a powder.

Latest posts

Back