What on earth happened!?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xaos

Reaction score
I don't know what went wrong. It looks like parts have soaponified while others haven't. There's liquid still oozing from some spots.
I used olive, peanut, soy and canola oil, the same recipe that's worked fine before. Any ideas?

1622146_837493579628437_2376488032542433862_n.jpg

Not sure not seeing the full recipe but I think if you plop it all in the crock pot and rematch it, it should be fine. I love the color!

Could this happen if there was too little lye?

This was CP and I have yet to attempt HP (got to get my mitts on a crockpot)

Wish me luck!

Did you use a fragrance oil? Some can cause soap to overheat and separate.

Also, you might want to tinker with your soap recipe. It's all liquid oils and soy, canola, and peanut have relatively short shelf lives. Maybe substitute some of those oils with coconut, palm, or tallow?

The color is pretty! I'd dump it into a pot, stir or SB over low heat until it's all incorporated, and pour back into the mold.

Side note, but I was told false trace is when solid butters that are melted resolidify and make the batter look like it traced, when in fact it just got cool beyond the melt value. I had someone correct me on that a day or two ago. With the ingredients post, the only solid thing is what...soy???that's liquid at room temp I believe. I'd novicely guess it's separation of a fo. It pools on the batter if it separates, I think.

Edit, obsidian said it here. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=48279

Soy is liquid unless Crisco...but is the new Crisco soy even? Unsure on that.
Quote..

I used olive, peanut, soy and canola oil, the same recipe that's worked fine before. Any ideas?

Bother... I'd posted a long reply with the full recipe and what happened when it started going wrong. But I took too long and got logged out.
I'll post them separately.

75ml white tea
30mg lye
100ml vegetable oil (mix of canola and soy)
50ml olive oil
50ml peanut oil
8ml rose fragrance oil
8ml pink rose dye

So mixing the lye solution and oils together, it just didn't seem to be reaching trace. I was worried it was going to burn out the engine of my stick blender. So I added the fragrance oil and dye before it reached trace as the rose oil speeds up trace. After a little more mixing, parts of the mixture became very thick and claggy, while other parts remained liquidy.

After 24+ in the mold, it's firmed up a lot more than I expected, even in the translucent spots. There are still some pockets of liquid though.

Unfortunately my measuring cup/jug is inadequate for measuring small amounts, so some of the volumes are approximate.
_____

I'd like to thank everyone for their input so far =)

Sure! Always weight. To ensure you don't burn yourself or wind up with too much oils, use the calc. Each oil has a different sap value, so a recipe that fits your mold that may need 30 mg of lye may only need 24 mg in a new recipe....so you use 30 mg again and end up with excess lye and burns, or in this case too little lye and too much oils that didn't saponify and turn into soap.
If your scale isn't real precise (is off a gram or something) do a large superfat to help with not being lye heavy...and weigh it all out until you can get a good scale. Sorry it didn't work out!!

Back