Dendritic salt for super hard bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVivian

Reaction score
I've been using fine sea salt at 1 tsp ppo for awhile now and I've noticed it does harden the soap a bit faster, but the other day I used dendritic salt also at 3 tsp instead. When I cut the next day it was extremely hard... almost difficult to slice. The following batch I tried using only 1 tsp and I noticed a significant difference between the dendritic and sea salts. Has anyone else noticed this and/or what the scientific explanation might be?

I have nothing scientific to add but just interested in this one. Does it help with unmolding easier?

I have nothing scientific to add but just interested in this one. Does it help with unmolding easier?

Absolutely! The first time with the 3 teaspoons, the soap probably would have been ready to slice in 4 or 5 hours. I usually get impatient and start peeling back my mold too soon until I realize it's still sticky. But I've done 3 batches now and it does seem to release much easier. I'm eager for someone to chime in or give it a try!

I would love to try it and see if I have the same results. Do you know if it is sold in stores (like Walmart, or a big box store) or does it need to be purchased through a supplier? I see BB and WSP carry it.

No scientific explanation to add... but yes, I've noticed salt water and sodium lactate also make soap to harden (quick to get a trace, too).

Definitely salt does help produce a harder of soap. I would also like to know why??? Anyone? Dee Anna?:-D Thank you!

I would love to try it and see if I have the same results. Do you know if it is sold in stores (like Walmart, or a big box store) or does it need to be purchased through a supplier? I see BB and WSP carry it.

I order it from Brambleberry to add to my bath salts, I've never seen it in a regular grocery store. Not sure where else it can be purchased.

I don't have the answer either, but am wondering at what point you add the dendritic salt or sodium lactate? I have both but have never used them in soap and would love to produce a harder bar.

I set aside an ounce or two of water from my batch before I add my lye to it. Then I dissolve the salt in the water and add it back when my lye is cooled. Same with sugar. With sodium lactate, I just add it in with my oils.

I'll just have to get it from WSP then. I use sodium lactate so I would love to see I notice a difference.

I just used fine sea salt the other day in an experiment. Of course I didn't use a small loaf, (I threw caution to the wind lol) but one of my usual 150 oz batches that I divide into two loaves, one lavender eo and one lilac fo. They came out much harder but a little discolored or mottled looking. I used about 1tsp per pound. This is a recipe that is usually very soft for several days so I was trying to harden them up and make them last a bit longer. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1407506537.353620.jpg

That's probably caused my little tiny particles of salt that didn't fully dissolve. I've noticed it in some of my batches

That's probably caused my little tiny particles of salt that didn't fully dissolve. I've noticed it in some of my batches

I think so too. Do you think they are sellable? I really should have done a small batch! Oh well. My lavender bars sell like hot cakes and I'm not sure what people would think of these. Sorry, not trying to hyjack!!

Call them silver dabble lavender bars, people will think you are genius for creating perfect speckles.

Obsidian has a good idea. There's nothin wrong with the soap, just a cosmetic issue to some. It doesn't really bother me because I see it as proof that the soap has been handmade.

Got some DS and fired away! Used 2tbsp (might be overkill) in a 2lb batch vs 2tbsp in a 2lb batch of SL. I did see a difference in the hardness as well as when cleaning my tools. The SL one (tools with soap on them a week old, I procrastinate) came off way easier the the ones with DS. Does this mean the bars with DS will last longer? Who knows but will definitely make notes.

Latest posts

Back