I have angered the Soap Gods!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorymae

Reaction score
I just need a place to vent about the events that I just went through less than 30 mins ago.

It's been really busy lately and the soap was dwindling and knowing I have a larger order coming up it was time to get my rear in gear.

I made 4 loaves without a hitch, good scent, good color I was happy. However I had 2 more that had to be done in the same scent/color/recipe. So that is approx 10lbs of soap.

Normally I like to do all loaf batches separately because it is easy to handle and you have a bit more time with trace etc etc. Now I could make a lot of excuses about how tired I am or how much I already did, but when it comes right down to it I was too lazy!

So I measure my oils, mix up my lye and I think (this is where all bad things come from) I'll just melt the oils with my lye. So I do.

The recipe I'm working with is nothing special, slow mover really, but it is a hard bar and when it starts getting hard it gets hard quick. This wasn't going to be a problem, I'm not swirling this, it is a simple two color soap - not even vertical, just horizontal.

So I stick blend the batter, no problem at all takes 4 mins or so to reach a very light trace. So now all I have to do is scent (a mix I've used before and doesn't accelerate) and split the batter for color. Now I chose a pitcher to split into its wider at the top and more squat with a good spout for pouring. I begin pouring the batter into the pitcher and it goes into the bottom of the pitcher and swoops all the way out the other side, down my cabinets onto the floor and my favorite shoes. I add my color -it should be lavender, it looks gray. I add more, its still gray. Okay I think, (remember where that gets me) I'll deal with it.

Now thankfully I kept my wits about me after yelling out a few choice words, and cleaned up the mess and my shoe. All in all I think I lost about 6-8 oz of soap.

BUT when I go back to my pot and pitcher my batter is now like stiff mashed potatoes. I glop it into the mold bang it down glop some other color and try to even the top. It is now so hard that I have a hard time even moving it at all.

I have more batter that I was going to use for my top - it is hard. Now I'm mad. I'm yelling at the soap, and the soap gods, can't even get the color right, UGH. So I grab my hand blender (yup I did) and I beat in some hot pink fuschia neon color ( I don't even remember the name) and I'm still arguing with the soap. I finally glop some of that into imbed molds pushing and swiping it in with a spatula....and my daughter comes in and says Mom why is that soap rose colored when it smells like lavender? That is when I stopped. It is also the reason there is a large bowl downstairs with rose colored, lavender smelling soap in it. (Maybe I'll make soap balls tomorrow)

Anyway these are the highlights of the soap gods punishment for today. There is a 99.99 percent chance that I will have to redo this soap....but I am refusing to recognize that fact tonight.

Last edited:
Breathe in, breathe out. Repeat.....many times. Now go to the adult beverage storage area and grab the first thing that comes to hand. Gulp a couple of times, then sip. Still breathing? Good. Turn on the TV, take the dog for a walk or sort laundry. Do anything that will re-direct your attn. for a while. Get a good night's sleep then re-focus in the morning. You'll get it all done and it will be perfect. :thumbup:

As I was reading, I was picturing myself going through the steps as you described them and found myself yelling those cuss words and probably throwing a few spatulas across the room. I could SOOOO feel your frustration! I'm sorry you had a bad soaping day. That just sucks! Tomorrow will be terrific. Rah Rah!!!!

Thanks, I didn't need to go to the packie - I got it here. Maybe a nice relaxing bath...with bath bomb, and heck I might just take one of my good bars of soap! (we usually use the scraps)

oh dear. I would have been cussing too..... tomorrow will be another day, and you do great!

That is almost exactly what has been happening to me lately! Gah! I have to soap to today and now I'm skeered, lol. Maybe they'll go on a sightseeing tour of France today and leave me alone :)

Thanks, I didn't need to go to the packie - I got it here. Maybe a nice relaxing bath...with bath bomb, and heck I might just take one of my good bars of soap! (we usually use the scraps)

You say "packie"? Where are you from?

Dorymae, if the story didn't sound so pitiful at the end of your vent session I was laughing. Only because you were verbally arguing with the soap. Been there. Didn't like it. Must be soap gremlin month. Hang in there and know that tomorrow is another day and the bad gremlin day is gone.

Kathie

Thanks, and really looking back it is kind of funny. The soap does in fact have to be redone and that is today's project but it didn't come out too bad - just doesn't look like it should. So all in all it could have been a lot worse. Oh and the poor leftover beaten to death hardened batter I made country soap cookies out of them.

Back