Silk Shocker

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotsman

Reaction score
I'd been wanting to try using silk in cp soap for a while now and finally got around to it tonight. I read in many places that you can use 100% silk cloth in place of the liquid or powdered silk amino acids so that's what I did. I went to Joanne fabrics and picked up a half yard of natural un-dyed 100% silk cloth. I un-wove the cloth into thread and separated the thread into fibers. I took a gram of the fibers for a three pound batch of soap and let them soak in my water for an hour before adding the lye. Here's the strange part. When I added the lye to the water the silk fibers immediately turned bright lemon yellow. Is this normal? Has anybody else here experienced this? In all my research about using silk fibers in soap I hadn't come across this and a subsequent google search didn't come up with anything of this sort either. The fibers completely dissolved in the lye water after a bit of stirring and left it a kind of pale yellow. I added some TD to offset this but probably didn't need to as the soap was to be a slate grey color anyway. I'm hoping that this is normal and won't affect the soap negatively in any way. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'll post cut pics in the gallery when I get it out of the mold tomorrow night. Thanks guys.

I use raw silk fibers and can't remember them turning yellow. I imagine it was sizing or some other treatment they used in making the silk material. I don't think it would be harmful. A lady I know just snips silk fabric up in fine pieces. She says it dissolves fine in lye water. Just thought it might save you some time.:)

I'll have to try this! I've heard of silk in soap, but have no experience with the final product (like if it's a nice soap).

I use tussah silk fibers, and never got the reaction like that, but I've never used silk fabric, like you did. Did you wash the silk first? Just a guess, because sometimes fabrics have a "finish" or "sizing". I'm clutching at straws here, because I'm just guessing.

I also use the fibers and I do notice a very slight yellowing. My guess is it is just the protein and lye reacting similar to a milk. I am sure it will be perfectly fine soap. If you are planning to use silk in all your soaps I would suggest getting the raw fiber. I think it is easier to use and if you get it from a reputable supplier you know what you are getting. Though you got tje undyed type there is no telling what else it my have been treated with. Good luck☺

I did not wash the silk. Never thought of any kind of finishing treatment that they might do to it. I do plan to order the raw tussah silk fibers. I just picked up the silk cloth because I am notoriously impatient and wanted instant gratification. This was only a small test batch so I'll order the tussah silk before I do a large-scale batch. Other than the shocking color change the whole process of making this batch went very smoothly. The only other strange thing I noticed was that it traced very quickly, before I even added the fragrance or color. The oil mixture and lye water were both at 95 degrees when I mixed them. I was using a new base recipe of oils so I suspect that may have been the culprit. Nothing terrible though. By the time I got it into the mold it was at a fairly heavy trace, but not so thick as to be difficult to work with. Keeping my fingers crossed that this one comes out nice. This batch has some expensive skin-loving and healing ingredients in it such as cocoa butter, shea butter, avocado oil, tea tree EO, eucalyptus EO, Siberian fir needle EO, and of course the silk. I recently had a couple high-end salon/spas sign on to carry my soaps on their shelves and I would like to pitch one like this to them providing it passes my testing after a good cure.

Good to know I'm not the only one who has had silk turn yellow. I was a little concerned.

I use tussah silk and sugar in my lye water for every batch, and the lye water always turns light yellow. It doesn't have any effect on the color of the soap (in my experience, anyway) :)

Yep, my tussah silk also turns the lye water a pale yellow...just barely though. Doesn't really affect the final product color wise in my experience.

I have heard great things about Tussah silk in soap! I cannot wait to try this!

Where do get your raw Tussah silk? I have looked around on internet but I don't know which one to get. Please help!
I would like to use it in my shampoo bar. Appreciate it!

I have heard great things about Tussah silk in soap! I cannot wait to try this!

Where do get your raw Tussah silk? I have looked around on internet but I don't know which one to get. Please help!
I would like to use it in my shampoo bar. Appreciate it!

I ordered mine from amazon. It is amazing in soap and will turn the water a slight yellow.

I ordered some tussa silk. Snipped it up really fine and put it in my lye water. Let it sit for 3-4 hours stirring occasionally. There were still undisolved bits. Is this normal?

Puddin, I use about half a cotton ball size amount of tussah silk (for a 2lb batch) and just pull all the fibers out with my fingers to make them like spider webs and let them sit in my distilled water for a few minutes while I'm measuring my lye. After I add my lye to the water, I stir occasionally but my silk is dissolved in less than 20 minutes.

Where do get your raw Tussah silk? I have looked around on internet but I don't know which one to get.

Some suppliers for tussah silk recommended by members in the past.

http://www.lookchina.com/textile/homespin/silk/tussah_silk_sliver.htm
http://www.paradisefibers.com/paradise-fibers-bleached-tussah-silk-noil-grade-a.html
https://cart.candlesupply.com/Raw-Chopped-Tussah-Silk-Fibers-pr-20141.html

Don't forget to check Etsy. That's where I bought some and it was a very good price, IMO. However, it does have some dark bits of something (cocoon?) in it. It's not a problem since I strain lye when I pour it. The shop name was yarn2spin.

Back