Poll: Colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shalisk

Reaction score
I am on various forums from games to cars and hobbies. And I have found that opinion polls are great ways to get information to gather for yourself, and for others. You can learn a lot.

Depending on the topic, I have put as many polls out as once a week, and the results are surprising!:shock:

So I figure I would try it here, and see what response was like and if people thought it fun/good!

Where do you get your colorants, and why do you choose those ones/that place?

I'm not picky, I buy colorants whenever I place a order of soaping supplies regardless of where that is. I do have one mica that I can only get from brambleberry that I love.

I like the natural color of the soaps and have yet to really dig deep into colorants. If I decide to try it out, I'd rather use some of the herbs, spices, and teas that I have on hand. I'm really big on the benefits from the pantry goods and want the soaps to be as helpful as possible.

Almost all of my colors (ultramarines, oxides and micas) come from TKB. There are a few oxides I buy in larger bulk at WSP, but only when I'm grabbing my oils there too. I also make mineral makeup, which is why I chose TKB, but I am finding they're lacking in certain colors- oranges and purples in particular, which I'll have to find a different supplier for soon.

I poked around on WSP just now and see that they have several nice color, but have you seen http://www.bulkapothecary.com and have any experiance there? THey are a bit cheaper on the cost per oz, and I think they are closer to me for shipping (im in CO)

I don't use any colorants nor EO's in my soaps, but then I'm sort of a beginner at this.:grin:

Nurture Soap Supplies because they have great customer service, fast shipping and all their colors work fantastic in CP. I've not had any morphing issues at all. I also like TKB Trading for colorants too.

With the exception of one green oxide from Brambleberry which is very nice, Ive only used natural colorants (mostly from Soap Making Resource). The ones which have worked well for me so far are: indigo, madder root, alkanet, annato, French green clay, Moroccan red clay, hemp oil, activated charcoal and carrots. I still need to tweak my comfrey and nettle infusions to see if I can get a decent green.

I'm going for natural colorants so far. I have several colors of clay from Brambleberry and the natural colorant kit from Soap Making Resource. I really need to get back on the ball with soap making and do some playing with the kit.

I get a bit frustrated with botanical colorants because of the color changes that happen during saponification or during cure. I use mostly clays, oxides, and micas. The botanicals I do use are calendula, madder root, comfrey, nettle, annatto and cocoa powder, sometimes alkanet.

I like the sample pack from wsp. You can try different oxides and pick the ones you like best. One tip for working with pigments is to add a TB or so of td to the oils before mixing lye. Colors pop that way... I also like BB electric bubblegum. Oh, and I've learned to use just a few lines/accents for the black oxide. Otherwise the black gets all over your hands in the shower- not appealing

I get mine from Brambleberry, b/c that's where I get most of my fragrances. I like powders vs liquids, generally.

I'm not a huge fan of WSP. I think their prices are on the high side, and their site is kind of hard to search.

I also enjoy natural colorants. I recently did a bar that had half colored with rose clay and half colored gray with charcoal, and I really liked that look. Natural colorants tend to be very soft, and sometimes I want that.

TKB, the conservatorie, coastal scents -- great selection of oxides, micas
NDA -- clays

Hello! I get my colorants from Celestial Colors (http://www.celestialcolors.com/). These colorants are made for cp soapmaking and have a great range of bright colors. By mixing some colors you can achieve many interesting shades. Easy to use, reasonably priced and very good service and shipping. Never had any problems with the colorants (when used as directed.)

I get mine from Brambleberry, b/c that's where I get most of my fragrances. I like powders vs liquids, generally.

I'm not a huge fan of WSP. I think their prices are on the high side, and their site is kind of hard to search.

I also enjoy natural colorants. I recently did a bar that had half colored with rose clay and half colored gray with charcoal, and I really liked that look. Natural colorants tend to be very soft, and sometimes I want that.

I agree on the prices, but to be fair, WSP also has free shipping on all orders. The slightly higher price (In my limited experiance) has been more than offset by shipping. Example: 30 pounds from ED cost me 40 bucks in shipping! And Castor from WSP was 80 cents more but would cost 1-2 bucks in shipping so they have that going for them :)

Latest posts

Back