Percentage, PPO, and other math musings...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I'm just going to put it out there. I'm math challenged.

I am pretty sure I get the whole ratio to pound of oil used but the percentage thing is really boggling my mind.

For example - I want to make Exotic Coconut from WSP. The usage rate is 3.6% for my soaping. Now how do I calculate that into my recipe to figure out the max I can use?

Forgive me if this is covered already somewhere, I did some pretty extensive searches all day today with no luck so any advice would be helpful. :oops:

Totally! I am all over brambleberry fragrance calc if I am going to use theirs but otherwise I have been a bit lost.

Again I am so thankful for all of you!

Translating the meaning of the word "percent" --

"per" means "divided by"
and
"cent" means "100".

Remember a "century" is 100 years? And there are 100 cents in a dollar? And 100 degrees in the "centigrade" (celcius) temperature scale?

A number expressed as a percentage is that number per 100. To do math with a percentage, you have to convert it from a percentage into a decimal number, as Judy showed.

3.6% = 3.6 percent = 3.6 divided by 100 = 3.6 / 100 = 0.036

Numbers as percentages are easier to say, that's all. Think of saying "three point six percent" versus "zero point zero three six".

Translating the meaning of the word "percent" --

"per" means "divided by"
and
"cent" means "100".

Remember a "century" is 100 years? And there are 100 cents in a dollar? And 100 degrees in the "centigrade" (celcius) temperature scale?

A number expressed as a percentage is that number per 100. To do math with a percentage, you have to convert it from a percentage into a decimal number, as Judy showed.

3.6% = 3.6 percent = 3.6 divided by 100 = 3.6 / 100 = 0.036

Numbers as percentages are easier to say, that's all. Think of saying "three point six percent" versus "zero point zero three six".

I love how linear you describe things, DeeAnna. That really helped me visualize the process. Thank you! :D

Unless you are Brambleberry and calculate by final soap weight. It gets so confusing sometimes!

It is actually the weight of your oils figured in the B&B calculator. Fragrance percentage is always figured on the weight of oils used. If using 1 oz ppo it is just comes out to be 6.25% of fragrance. Hopefully my math is correct tonight

It is actually the weight of your oils figured in the B&B calculator. Fragrance percentage is always figured on the weight of oils used. If using 1 oz ppo it is just comes out to be 6.25% of fragrance. Hopefully my math is correct tonight

See, this has confused me about BB. They say that they calculate FO usage rates based on total weight of soap, including lye solution volume, and with their calculator they mean for you to put in the total soap weight. How they can figure it that way though, I don't get. If you just put your weight of oils in the calculator, it won't give you the maximum FO load. I wish they would just list the % rate with their FO descriptions and make my life less complicated LOL. I usually just figure the 5% ppo is the max, but BB's calculator will give you an amount that comes out higher than that with some FOs. :-? (unless my Math challenged brain is making a mistake there lol)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back