Help soap-tastrophe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was soaping last night I had one of those gallon pails of Palm from Jedwards Int. I was melting it in the pot of water (see disaster coming ) and if was melting fine. I was down to the last 2 inches of oil needing to melt ( it's almost here) I went to lift the gallon pail out of the pot and.. WHOOSH ( :( its here and I should have seen it coming) the plastic melted to the pot and the oil spilled out in a funnel of melting plastic into the water.
Luckily no one was hurt. I let it sit overnight thinking I may be able to strain it when it hardens???? Any thoughts on how to fix my SOAP-TASTROPHE? Any help would be appreciated I hate to throw out a gallon of palm oil.

OGosh

Thank you Everyone! So I let it harden strained/scraped/ remelted and poured into another container. I will let that harden and try the process again. I am glad I am not the only one. lol. Man it stinks big time!

Sorry for your soap troubles! Glad you were able to strain it. I'm assuming when you melted you had the stove top on? I find that for coconut and palm it will melt quite easily when I put the container in the kitchen sink filled with hot tap water. I let it sit until melted and change water if needed. Good luck :)
Cheers!
Anna Marie

I purposefully mixed Coconut oil with water before to clean it. I had been doing a coffee infusion and forgot to turn the Crock pot off, burning it. So I washed the oil in a salt water brine on the stove. It took 3 washings to become white again and not smell like burnt Coffee. To do it I melted the coconut oil in the pot of saltwater, agitating it as it reached a boil. Then I stuck the pot in the fridge. The oil solidified into a perfect plate on the top of the pot (with the coffee and dirty water under). On one of the washes, my boyfriend pulled the pot out of the fridge and back onto the stove. That time I found the coconut oil solidified into tiny pieces floating around in the water, as well as having formed sort of mesh structures holding water inside. So I brought it back to a boil, stirred it well and stuck it into the fridge. Nice solid plate again. That may speed things up for you with the palm.

This has not happened to me YET. Thanks for the good advice to fix it when that happens to me.

The 7lb fats from Soaper's Choice come in a gallon jug with a small lid, so I have had to do the melting thing with those to get coconut oil out. If you pad the bottom of your pot with a towel, it keeps the plastic from contacting anything hotter than the boiling (or near-boiling) water, and shouldn't melt. Heavy spoons keep the (tall, narrow) jugs from SC from tipping over into the sides of the pot, too.

Sorry to hear about your disaster, but like others have said, it should separate and be recoverable. Good luck!

I'm sorry this happened. my advice for next time is to turn the stove off and let your bucket sit in the hot water. check every once in a while. I melt stuff in plastic all the time, but I'm sure to turn the stove off when I do (and check often to stir)

Thank you Everyone! I will definitely pad the bottom of the pan next time. I used the sink to melt the cocoanut. I was able to salvage the oil ( most of it anyways :)) I will not make that mistake again!

I just lay the jug on its side in the kitchen sink and fill about halfway with hot water and walk away. I might have to add some as it cools but not usually. In the summer it sits on a shelf in the garage and never hardens.

Latest posts

Back