Differences between hp and cp

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielle22033

Reaction score
I guess my question is, is if your cold process soap goes through the gel phase then in my understanding there is nothing different between that and hp, except that you sped it up by using a crock pot. (Appearance is different too) My question is, is if you make a batch of cp soap and fill individual soap molds up that are not large enough to go through the gel phase how long do you have to wait to use the soap? and why? And/or does it always gel? (I only have done huge brick batches) They say cp you should wait 3-4 weeks but if it gels then I am saying you are safe the next day to use it (Besides it being on the softer side)

thanks

If your soap gels fully or is cooked by HP, yes, you can use it a couple of days after unmolding. That doesn't mean you should. It will be milder and will last longer if you wait the requisite 4-6 weeks. If your soap doesn't gel, add a week on to your cure time. You can get individual soaps to gel if you put them in a 170 degree oven and pull them once they are fully gelled.

Some do cphp for the looks, not having to worry about partial gel, you can use less FO, to tame a seizing batch and other reasons. Yes, if your soap has gone thru a complete gel or is cooked it should be safe to use as soon as its cooled down. That doesn't mean it's cured and a cure does more than just harden. There are a lot of post on this subject. If you do not gel you need to wait a few days for the saponification process to complete or you risk getting a lye burn.

If your soap gels fully or is cooked by HP, yes, you can use it a couple of days after unmolding. That doesn't mean you should. It will be milder and will last longer if you wait the requisite 4-6 weeks. If your soap doesn't gel, add a week on to your cure time. You can get individual soaps to gel if you put them in a 170 degree oven and pull them once they are fully gelled.

I was not aware of that, are most molds heat proof? to be able to go in the oven?

I do HP because I love to do HP. I was a CP soaper for many years and still do a few batches CP but not as many as I do HP. My CP and HP recipes are all the same and my customers love the HP compared to the CP. Same recipe- two totally different soaps.

This is all my opinion and from many of my customers- mind you- I have been making soap since I was 15 (by myself anyway) and I'm 40 now so I've been there and done it with the soaping world.
Anyway- HP soap has a better lather- big, dense, creamy bubbles, better scent retention and throw on cool soap, is milder on skin (somehow) and your soap is cured quicker. HP soap is ready to go in 2 weeks- 4-6 for Castile.
The problem is- most people don't have the patience to learn how to process an HP soap- they just use it for CP soap scents that rice or whatever. It is a process to learn and there are better ways to do it than a crockpot- ick...

Some soapers want to swirl and all that jazz- well HP soap you won't get that but you can get some nice marbling and even swirls if you work at it. CP is easier to swirl obviously if you are into that. HP soap doesn't last as long as CP even with a long cure that is the one drawback. They still last a long time but not like CP.

Most people HP because they have to- I HP because I want to.

I use a heating pad for molds that I am not sure should go into the oven.

I am new to HP soaps. new to soap making. I dont see a real difference in CP and HP. at least from all the researching ive been doing. frankly it seems to be a vague preference that can vary from batch to batch. and not really a solid form thing.

I dont even wait for my soap to "cure" after it cools down and i pull it out of its form from the hp. i cut it, and use it. they work just fine. Perhaps the next batch i will hold for at least 2 weeks cut and batched just to see how it is. but even the water retention disperses faster than what many have told me at least.

The problem is- most people don't have the patience to learn how to process an HP soap- they just use it for CP soap scents that rice or whatever. It is a process to learn and there are better ways to do it than a crockpot- ick...

Some soapers want to swirl and all that jazz- well HP soap you won't get that but you can get some nice marbling and even swirls if you work at it. CP is easier to swirl obviously if you are into that. HP soap doesn't last as long as CP even with a long cure that is the one drawback. They still last a long time but not like CP.

JUST A QUESTION, OT TWO :)
you stated that there is a better way to do HP besides "crockpot" .... i think "ick" followed the statement :).... what other way is better? how long does your HP soap last for ?

you stated that there is a better way to do HP besides "crockpot" .... i think "ick" followed the statement :).... what other way is better? how long does your HP soap last for ?

Me too, me too, I'd love to know what other methods there are! I also really like your take on HP, Stinkydancer.

I don't know why I'd never tried CPOP, but got enthused about it last night and CPOPd a batch. Wow! I love it! They were a slab of individual silicone molds. The mold didn't suffer even a little bit, and the soap is harder right off the bat than any CP I've ever done. I heated it in the oven at 170 degrees for an hour, turned off the oven and let it sit overnight. Tonight I plan to do a couple of batches CPOP in my wood log molds lined with freezer paper.

This is a really helpful thread!

I've read her past posts and it seems she does OHP but maybe she will pop back in.

LOL..Ick because a crockpot will always dry out your soap. :) It creates a lumpy soap at least every time I have ever tried it that way. I do know some people who can turn out a nice soap with one though.

I do OHP or double boiler but I like OHP better, I don't have to babysit as much. The key is to cook the soap low- I use 170 to do it- CPOP if I do that, it's 170 too.
You also never want to stir or overcook HP soap. I know my recipe well so I know it takes a full 80 minutes to cook it and it's done. You have to keep an eye on your time with your recipe since it can vary. If you do a few batches- you will know how long it takes your recipe to become soap so there is less chance of overcooking.
You also want to check the soap a couple of times in the first 30-40 minutes to make sure it isn't going to climb out of the pot. I have never had it happen to me but you never know.

Sugar helps too to keep it pourable- I use it at 1 TBS. PPO. Aloe Vera Juice seems to give me a more pourable soap than H2O. It's just little things like this I have found over the years since I do mostly HP soap now.

My HP soap lasts pretty well not like CP soap though. I cut my bars to 4.5 ounces and they last a few weeks either in the shower or at the sink for hand washing.

You just have to play with HP soap for awhile and you will get your groove in it. Timing is everything.

I was not aware of that, are most molds heat proof? to be able to go in the oven?

Depends on the mold. At 170 degrees - wood, yes, silicone, yes, M&P multicavity molds made out of that clear plastic, not recommended.

I haven't used HDPE or plexiglass molds so I can't comment on them.

Latest posts

Back