Non fragranced goat milk lotion - smells a bit sour?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gouldie

Reaction score
A few months ago a friend showed me how to make goats milk lotion using fresh goats milk. She generally makes scented ones, but I wanted to roll with non-fragrance and non-coloured - keeping as simple as possible.

The first batch (a few months ago) seemed fine, then recently I made a couple of batches, using the same recipe - fresh goats milk, olive oil, stearic acid, emulsifier and preservative.

The beauty of the lotion was that it had no smell at all - very neutral.

However, about a fortnight after I made it, had a sniff and it smells a bit sour. Still feels really good and the colour (white) and consistency is the same. It's just the smell - a touch weird. Interestingly, the smell disappears from your skin after about 10 minutes.

Any clue what might have caused the sour smell? Do you think I should up the preservative?

Any help or suggestions most gratefully received..

What was the percentage of goat's milk that you used? To make sure your preservative can handle the load you shouldn't be any higher than 12% with the rest being water. So if you used all GM and no water, it is very possible that it has gone "off"....

Thanks for your response Lindy.

Of the ingredients, goats milk was 75% with no water. Interestingly I found another goat milk lotion recipe on this forum. The recipe was not that unlike mine, except the goats milk and water together made up about 75%.

So perhaps that's the clue - dilute it and see how it goes..

Thanks! :thumbup:

Whoa, yeah I would be to nervous to make a lotion with that much goat milk. To hard to preserve. I make a 10% goat milk lotion. No sour smell, smells like unscented lotion.

Back