extra virgin vs. extra light olive oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maythorn

Reaction score
These are such a different color yet the soap made with both seems to be very much the same shade. I used Lavender essential oil each time same amount, same everything else. I was really hoping for a lighter colored bar. I use olive at 23% so maybe at that lower amount it doesn't much effect the color that the EVOO was really a definite green shade..

I've only ever made soap with EVOO once and it came out a green shade that eventually morphed a greenish/yellowish color.

My go-to olive oil for my soap is the Kirkland Pure Olive Oil from Costco- (not the extra-virgin kind). My soaps come out a light creamy off-white with it.

IrishLass :)

I had the same experience with EVOO.

Now I use Member's Mark olive oil from Sam's. It's a nice off white to white depending on what else you use. And it is relatively cheap. Time for a resupply so tomorrow will tell how much the price has gone up. It used to be 9 dollars and change for a 3 liter bottle.
Used one 7lb bottle of pomace olive oil from Soapers Choice but it didn't quite compare in price to what Sam's charged.

I bought EVOO when it was on special and made a castile with it. It cured with a noticable soft green shade, compared to OO and light OO.

I actually prefer the EVOO to the regular OO. It has a nice faintly spicy smell and subtle coloration that I enjoy.Also, the extra chemistry seems to be more conditioning to my skin and hair than the regular OO.

That said, if I was trying to make a colored soap or one with a subtle fragrance, I would definitely use the regular OO, since the EVOO affects the scent and color both.

You that have had a difference in color must use more olive oil in the recipe or something. I hadn't noticed one being more conditioning than the other but then I wasn't paying attention to that, just trying to get more ivory-colored bars.

Thanks dieSpinne, I figured at only 23% it just wouldn't make any real difference.

I only see the colour difference in my 100% olive oil castile. In my other soaps I use around 60% olive oil and mica colour swirls and embeds ... no colour from the oil is noticable.

Latest posts

Back