Whiskey soap trial - cuts pic added post #6

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eucalypta

Reaction score
Today it was D-day for the Whiskey soap
I tried two versions, HP and CP simultaneously.

HP went flawless, I let it cook for quite some time in the hope it would become a bit translucent, but it didn't.
In fact I was a bit disappointed with the colour - bleak off whitish...
I had to bag-pipe it into separate silicone moulds, because ...

The CP gave me some trouble. :twisted:
Boilt the Whiskey to get rid of most of the alcohol; cooled it down and added water to get to the right amount of liquid for the lye.
I poured the lye carefully into the cooled whiskey, and WOW instant boiling occured, which I anticipated a bit as I had made beer soap before.

When everything was cooled down, poured the lye solution into the oils.
Again WOW: instant custard with lumps... it was concrete before I could count to three! :roll:
SB-ed at high speed, and it came to rest.

Too bad I intended to add a black-green-gold mica swirl, and had that already mixed, thinking if I needed to add some fragrance to it, it would be oakmoss and honey....
That was out of the question with this concrete mash So I decided to drizzle the mica solution over the soap, and whack into the logmould, which was there awaiting the HP soap.

Well both lather like an detergent with too much SLS :D
The HP feels a bit sticky, but is still a bit moist.
Both smell like Whiskey for the time being.

here is a pic : CP just unmolded, HP still in the malls.
Update on cut/unmolded pics later this week.

Foto-YVR6JWDY-D.jpg

Next one is a bit unsharp - hicup .... ;)
(did not drink it - Grants was on sale - not particularly fond of Whiskey anyway)

Foto-3JPSPSF3-D.jpg

Thanks for reading and looking!

I love to read about others more adventurous soaping escapades! But for me I think I will stay in my comfort zone. :D

The sun was still shining a bit in the kitchen, so here are the cut en unmolded pics.

HP-version.
The color is so light; it doesn't make me think of whiskey at all
But is nice and soft, and has a true whiskey smell.
I added a tiny bit of Honey and Oakmoss FO to support that scent.

Foto-4AJVGL6E-D.jpg

CP-variant

The color is more or less the same as HP.
Taken into acount all the fizzing and boiling that occurred when adding the lye to the whiskey, a darker, more amber colour would have been in line IMHO.
The green-black and gold Mica oil solution I added, hardly gives any sparkles -a pity.

Foto-KSWX4BLI-D.jpg

Still it was a fun project!
Thansk for looking again.

Woah :shock: Did you really put 3/4 of a bottle of whisky into soap?
I have made whisky soap but with a dram or 2 and some fragrance oil. I added oats too (soaked in whisky) and a little ground ginger.
Being a Scot I really can't agree with so much amber nectar going into soap :wink:

LomondSoap said:
I have made whisky soap but with a dram or 2 and some fragrance oil. I added oats too (soaked in whisky) and a little ground ginger.
Being a Scot I really can't agree with so much amber nectar going into soap :wink:

:D Thank you for sharing your way! Being Scottish, you're the expert!
It is a great idea to soak the whiskey in oats - I'll certainly try it next time.

Faint excuse for abusing so much Whiskey : it was not of great quality...
Think I lost my feeling for proportions: treated the whiskey as if it were beer ;)

Love your soaps BTW

awesome!! I dont think I could bring myself to do this unless i made my own whiskey but....gooood stuff :)

LomondSoap said:

ROFLMAO!!!

I do have to ask if the scent of the whisky holds up in the soap or do you use it more for the label appeal?

It looks great! When can you use the cp?

I love beer soap, I wonder how the whiskey will do. I was wondering about it a while back but never had the nerve to try. lol!! What was your recipe for the cp?

ilovedoxies said:
It looks great! When can you use the cp?

I love beer soap, I wonder how the whiskey will do. I was wondering about it a while back but never had the nerve to try. lol!! What was your recipe for the cp?

Ok, I'll post both recipes here below.
Regarding the CP soap: perhaps I would try it differently next time, and try out LomondSoap's tips :D

@ Lindy
Glad you like it!

It still smells divine and though it is not yet cured it lathers beautifully :)
my middle name is impatience :lol:

HP
# 2 Oil/Fat % Pounds Ounces Grams
1 Coconut (76 deg, solid) 33.9 0.441 7.055 200
2 Castor Oil 3.39 0.044 0.705 20
3 Olive 2.37 0.031 0.494 14
4 Sunflower 9.49 0.123 1.975 56
5 Palm 50.85 0.661 10.582 300
Totals 100 1.301 20.812 590

Ingredient Pounds Ounces Grams
Water 0.494 7.908 224.2
Lye - NaOH 0.191 3.057 86.664

Make CP, put it in oven, double cooker - whatever -
simmer for 1 hour
add:

150 grs Whiskey
3 tbsp sugar
25 gr glycerine

cook for additional hour - or more if you wish
Keep lid on as much as possible.
(You might add some fragrance if desired)

then proceed as usual.

CP
# 2 Oil/Fat % Pounds Ounces Grams
1 Palm 37.31 0.551 8.818 250
2 Coconut (76 deg, solid) 29.85 0.441 7.055 200
3 Olive pomace 29.85 0.441 7.055 200
4 Shea Butter (Karite) 2.99 0.044 0.705 20
Totals 100 1.477 23.634 670

Ingredient Pounds Ounces Grams
Water 0.561 8.981 254.6
Lye - NaOH 0.213 3.41 96.68

Substitute water for Whiskey, boil to let alcohol out, add additional water to make up for the loss of whiskey due to cooking.
Add lye - please be carefu!l just bit by bit to avoid vulcano; stir well - to whiskey/water

Cool down and proceed as usual
Fight the concrete - whack into mold - done.

I would love to hear back from you when you do something with it - or tweak it :D

Latest posts

Back