So last night i think i made a mistake...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yukari

Reaction score
Last night i was making goat milk soap. In some tutorials suggest to pass the goat milk+lye through a strainer, to avoid clumps or undissolved lye in the batch. So i did.. :roll:
My lye milk was very thick and passed slowly through the strainer. Suddenly the lye milk started to make gray bubbles which ended up in the soap batch. I finished to pour the lye milk, arrive to trace and mold the soap.
In a second time i was thinking about those ugly bubbles, and i think it was because the strainer is made in aluminum :think:
how bad is that?? is it safe to use this soap in your opinion? :cry:

i would not use it, no. When lye reacts with aluminum a deadly gas can be released, I am glad you are able to post, I will hope that you are okay. I don't know how it affects the remaining soap but I simply would not be willing to use it at all. Better safe than sorry.

As an aside, when you mix lye into milk it will immediately start to saponify the fat in the milk, that will make your milk mixture thick or gloppy or chunky, and that's fine. But ALWAYS use only stainless steel!

I would second what new12soap says. You generally do not need to worry over straining your lye. I do it when I use aloe vera juice, but that is the only time. I haven't had problems with lye heavy soap or lye pockets except one time when I forgot an oil. Aluminum reacts quite badly with soap. I do not know if it can be rescued. I leave that question to others.

I would not waste my costly oils making soap from it. Pour it down the drain and maybe it will clean out some pipe gunk :)

Latest posts

Back