Favorite Market/Show Questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Does it contain lye?" I still love that one!

I get that one all the time. Then I have to don my school marm hat and 'splain the science of soap. There's a mistique surrounding making handmade soap that elicits questions
The more we can educate, the more we can sell.

I get that one all the time. Then I have to don my school marm hat and 'splain the science of soap. There's a mistique surrounding making handmade soap that elicits questions
The more we can educate, the more we can sell.

I love getting that question, because then I can show off my soaping knowledge and then they know that I know what I'm talking about!

I usually get "Do you have ______ soap?" where _____ is a scent that I do NOT have. Usually it's lavender. I have some lavender soap curing so next time it'll be something else :Kitten Love:

I don't even sell my soap yet and I get the lye question still, usually from my mother-in-law (and yes, she has asked it more than once). She has also asked me if I could just use a 'few drops' of this one really expensive EO she bought to scent a batch. I love her to death, but you have to explain things to her multiple times. SHe's a smart lady but terrible at paying attention.

Also, MaitriBB, love your signature, because I love HT.

I've gotten the "But really, does it actually do anything?". She proceeded to buy a bar as I politely tried to explained the benefits. I'm honestly surprised at some of the remarks people can have.

Yeah, I get the "Is that fudge?" comment quite a bit. I even got someone thinking one of my soaps looked like cheesecake and I do not make soaps that look like cake, pies, or cupcakes. Nothing against them but I have a one year old that tries to eat my soap as it is and making it look even more like a dessert than it already does.

I actually had a customer come back and said she had taken a bite out of it thinking it was white chocolate fudge. :Kitten Love: Actually it was coconut soap. We don't make fudge. But she took it pretty well and bought some chocolate. We do make bars of dark chocolate.

I make some cupcake soaps and everyone asks if they are cupcakes. I have them on the table with the rest of my soaps, so I always thought they could figure it out. But everyone asks, it is actually a good conversation starter. I did have one lady come back and tell me her husband took a bite out of the cupcake because she left it on the kitchen table. Maybe she was mad at him! I don't see how he wouldn't know that it wasn't candy, it doesn't feel anything like cake.

I had one little girl about 7 years old come up to my table at my first craft fair and put one of my soap samples directly in her mouth... It happened so fast. I started to say something to her but then her mom comes up and says "What did you just put in your mouth? Honey, that is SOAP!!! Not candy!" and give ME a dirty look! :confused::Kitten Love: Watch your kid!

I would be devastated if a kid did that. Then I would give the kids mom a dirty look right back. Like.. WOMAN your kid just ATE my sample!

But for real, I get a lot of (or use to) those smell so good I could eat them comments. "They aren't food right?" Nope, no they are not food.

"oh, my daughter, sister, cousin, neighbor, grandmother, brother's wife's sisters co-worker makes soap." With the disdainful look down their nose.

Ok, but not technically a question :) Pretty much everyone down my way that handcrafts anything gets this line at least once a show.

"Do you make theeeese?" I always get asked that question. And when I say yes, they give me a weird look full of disbelief. "But they are so professionally packaged!" Yes, I wear high heals, jewelry, have my hair and my nails done, and my soap wrappers are all different colors, but come on!

It looks like fudge or I could eat that or I thought it was cake.

Hah, these are the ones I mostly get too, even though my sign says Soapworks. And during a demo of ingredients one time, I had some unwrapped samples of lemon poppyseed soap on the table. And, you guessed it, before I could stop her, a woman took a bite. We all laughed and laughed, and mercifully she laughed too :)

Latest posts

Back