lip balm oil subs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzMolly65

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I'm looking at a recipe that includes close to 1oz each of: Vitamin E oil and Avocado oil

Is is possible to replace the Vit E and Avocado with either sweet almond or Sunflower? I'm hoping to make this without buying any more stock.
:think:
[/FONT]

Yep definitely. It will change the results some from the original recipe, but both sweet almond and sunflower can be used in lip balm and are nice in lip balm. Since you're removing the vitamin E though, be cautious about how much you are making since you will be shortening the shelf life. If you have any vitamin E capsules in the medicine cabinet I'd add a couple (prick a hole and squeeze) to help stave off rancidity. Especially since lip balm can frequently be exposed to warm and changing temperatures when put in a pocket or purse.

I only make small batches, two or three tubes at a time, but I like to melt all of my ingredients in a Pyrex measuring cup with a spout in a pot of simmering water, then I can just pour the melted lip balm into the containers. I've also heard of using pipettes, so you could use those if you have any.

For me it really helps to have a second person. The least messy way for me is to melt the oils in a glass measuring cup with a spout in a saucepan of water. Then wearing gloves, I hold the tube and pour into the tube then hand the tube to somebody to put in the stand to cool. I found that pouring when the tubes were in the stand, I spilled the lip balm.

Make sure you're satisfied with the balm before filling the containers, it really sucks to have to remove it all to remelt and change up plus clean the containers before refilling them! Solidify a little bit in the freezer to test on your lips before pouring.

For small batches I do a double boiler with a small glass measuring cup sitting on top of a mason jar ring in a pot of water.

I use tubes not pots. I rubberband the tubes together and place them in a bowl or cup (whatever is only just larger than the amount of tubes) to hold them straight up. Disposable pipettes work well, should work nicely for pots as well. A dropper will also work but its a pain in the butt to clean after so again you might want to just dispose of it after (I'm too cheap). Personally I now use a little funnel and a small measuring cup with a nice sharp spout. Once filled I stick them in the fridge to help them cool fast so the ingredients don't become grainy.

Solidify a little bit in the freezer to test on your lips before pouring.

Great advice, thanks!

Thanks everyone. I was going to make this today but decided to wait another day. This morning was a crazy, bad soaping disaster and there's no point in tempting fate with hot wax!

I agree with trying it before pouring. That way you can tweak it if you don't like it. I use pippettes to fill my tubes and pots. I generally only make 10-20 of each flavor. That way they don't sit around too long. I do use Vitamin E though.

Those lip balm trays are great! Worth every penny. If you don't have one, I used to group mine with a rubber band as described above and that works reasonably well. As the lip balms cool, there will be a little hollow divet in the center. You can try to top it off but I generally just leave it.

I bought pots for my first attempt. Easier to aim for a bigger opening during the learning process. I'll use the pipette advice and I'll buy the vit E oil. I didn't realize it was a preservative so that's worth buying. Then the only oil I'll be substituting would be the avocado oil.

Not preservative ;) but antioxidant. So it will stave off rancidity, but not do anything against bacteria etc. Some will use an actual preservative but technically with it being anhydrous its like lotion bars and body butter and doesn't need it.

Yep! You can definitely add more butters and oils. One of my first batches I added extra beeswax because the batch before was too soft... But I went too far in the opposite direction and Yea it was like a crayon. Unfortunately I'd poured into tube so had to remove it all and remelt to add the extra oil and butter.

I always make my lipbalm a bit more on the softer side. I prefer it with a less waxy feel. So just add more liquid oils and you will be fine. It takes awhile to fine just the right feel.

Yes, most of the other waxes are harder and need to be used in a ratio when swapping for beeswax. I can't remember with soy though but candelillia and carnauba are harder. I've only used beeswax so far, you can Google exchange ratios.

Back