The Horrror... Tank Tragedy... Do NOT read if you are...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissMori

Reaction score
squeamish...

My 3 and 4 year olds got to my Tank and tightened all the wires. Over tightened. I saw my 3 year old fiddling with the tuning screws and made a mental note to adjust them before cutting my next batch of soap.

Well, I forgot.

So I went to cut soap today and ALL the wires SNAPPED. ALL!! One big loud SNAP! Not bink bink bink bink, but SNAP!!! All at the same time.

The Horror!

I eventually stopped crying like a baby. Anyone know of a military school that enrolls toddlers?

replacing them is simple. well, actually the third time it was simple, but I figure if you have a whole set to replace then you'll have a third time LOL.

I feel for you.

and if my kids have survived to their present ages of 11 and 8, yours will make it too. god bless 'em, every one!

(show them how you tune the wires to be "musical" - it might help keep them from over doing it next time you - oops, and you will - leave your cutter within reach.)

(if you write to FCS about your mishap maybe they'll discount such a large order of replacement wires).

Today must be Break Your Tank Wire Day.

I broke 2 wires doing something really stupid. I was trying to slice a 2 lb block of MP.

Carebears right about FCS and the wires, when you order them get a couple extra sets, you just never know and honestly, the shipping for 2 or 3 sets is the same as one.

I'm not fit to comment on children today, my sister and her monsters just left after 4 days. I know whatever I say now, I'll regret later. ;) Keep in mind though, they grow up. Eventually.

MissMori - I don't have a tank (dreams) but reading made me cringe. I'd be the type to cry like a baby too...LOL.
Hope u can fix it soon.

replacing them is simple.

The wires or the children? :lol:

Seriously, though - that sounds very aggravating.

I managed to break a knife once, cutting soap. :shock: The blade snapped right at the handle - wasn't a puny little knife either.

Half Caper Farm said:
replacing them is simple.

The wires or the children? :lol:

:D :D :D

Yeah, been there! Must have startled you terribly to have them all snap at once. I would have done a bit of "snapping" myself at that point. If its any comfort, my 5 curious little mess makers have all grown up to become great at figuring things out and fixing/designing stuff.

Thank you for all the sympathy. I'm feeling better this morning. Thankfully my 4 year old is going to preschool today. I only have 1 little monster to contend with today.

My brother looked at the wires and said, "those are guitar strings, we can get them at ..." So tomorrow when the guitar store opens, I will get new wires.

There is a silver lining. I always feared when using my Tank that a wire would snap, whip around, and cut my hand. Didn't happen. So now I won't have any anxiety when cutting soap.

When you go to the music store ask them for 12 medium gauge "B" strings. That's the sting that seems to be the most similar to the strings on my acoustic guitar.

I think the ones from FCS are cheaper than buying guitar strings.
And they're the right length and diameter.

Deda said:
I think the ones from FCS are cheaper than buying guitar strings.
And they're the right length and diameter.

That's a good point. I know guitar strings are more expensive if you buy and individual string as opposed to a set of 6 strings for a guitar.

oh the HORROR! Sorry about your tank! I don't have one yet, I'm still dreaming.

O M G! Horror is right.

Someday your kids will be grown with kids of their own. Plan your revenge now. Everytime I especially spoil the grandkids or get them some noisy toy, I just remind my son he had it coming! :twisted:

I used to quilt competitively, and once I had two weeks until the deadline for the quilt I was quilting before I had to send it to Japan for an exposition. My son was 3 or 4, and I'd forgotten to lock the sewing room door. He went in and used the sharp little scissors I used to clip threads and cut an L-shaped hole right in the middle of the quilt on the frame. I walked in on him doing it, and I can still remember the shock feeling for about a minute, then just diving in to fix it. Had to take out about an 18-inch area of quilting (lots of quilting), then "unsew" the little piece, cut a new piece, handsew in it, rebaste the area, then requilt. I honestly sort of blanked out during that time, but managed to fix the whole mess in about 2 or 3 hours. I let him live, but I never forgot to lock the blasted door again.

Sending you and your kids a hug! (( ))

BakingNana said:
O M G! Horror is right.

Someday your kids will be grown with kids of their own. Plan your revenge now. Everytime I especially spoil the grandkids or get them some noisy toy, I just remind my son he had it coming! :twisted:

I used to quilt competitively, and once I had two weeks until the deadline for the quilt I was quilting before I had to send it to Japan for an exposition. My son was 3 or 4, and I'd forgotten to lock the sewing room door. He went in and used the sharp little scissors I used to clip threads and cut an L-shaped hole right in the middle of the quilt on the frame. I walked in on him doing it, and I can still remember the shock feeling for about a minute, then just diving in to fix it. Had to take out about an 18-inch area of quilting (lots of quilting), then "unsew" the little piece, cut a new piece, handsew in it, rebaste the area, then requilt. I honestly sort of blanked out during that time, but managed to fix the whole mess in about 2 or 3 hours. I let him live, but I never forgot to lock the blasted door again.

Sending you and your kids a hug! (( ))

OMG :shock: I can't imagine that happening!

I don't have a tank... but I have my own version of one that uses a coated stainless steel fishing line. Funny I just had a wire break the other day.

I honestly don't know the cost of this line since I had a bunch sitting around from my Dad... but I have to think it is cheaper than guitar strings.

I got new wires... at the music shop. The nice man, who I've known for almost 30 years, but couldn't remember his name, measured the wires and determined that they are a bit heavier than medium gauge B wires. They measured to 19 microns, which is between guitar string gauges. I went with some 20 and some 22 gauge. A bit heavier, but perhaps stronger and less likely to snap.

They were less expensive than purchasing through FCS. Twelve wires at FCS cost $16 plus shipping. I paid $1.10 per wire and there was no shipping.

Back