Big Fancy Tops

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheri_j

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm full of questions today.

I've watched You Tube videos (trying to learn) and love the big fancy tops with embeds. I'm not technically there yet, but want to get there one day. I've always wondered do they insulate these soaps for the 24 hours after making? I figure if they do, they have to tent the loafs with cardboard or something.

They NEVER tell you in the videos! They just go from finishing up the soap to the cutting the soap.

If there are M&P embeds, would CPOP still work?

Please enlighten me. I have wondered about this for months!

Thank you so very much!! Y'all are the best!

The extra volume of high tops can help retain the heat of a soap that gels. It doesn't necessarily replace a full on effort to insulate the mold bt place in an inverted cardboard box over the mold and covering with a towel.

But gelling and insulating can ruin the your fancy high top.

I have a plastic shoe box or cardboard boxes to invert over the top of my soaps before I insulate. It protects the top. If you have a long mold, those triangle shaped "tube" mailers from the post office work well if you cut them and tape them. If you have a square mold, then just keep your eyes open for an appropriate size box. You can always add sides as long as the "bottom" is the right size. You can even make a box from foam core boards purchased from a craft store or Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014VCOCEC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You can even make molds from foam core boards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never insulate/cover and have no issue achieving gel. My silicone molds seem to retain enough heat to get the job done, plus the couple of tablespoons of sugar I add to every recipe.

I believe Katie from Royalty soaps is the queen for raised tops with embeds. She does most of them cp but occasionally uses m&p. Yes they would soften/melt if mp CPOP'd in the oven. M&P "melts" between 140-160F so even an oven heated to 170F would at least soften them.

CP embeds are just as easy to make as m&p - they just take longer to unmold.

... love the big fancy tops with embeds. ...do they insulate these soaps for the 24 hours after making? ...

I was just reading about this yesterday. If you buy 2 Crafter's Choice Silicone Loaf Molds 1501, you can fill the first one, and invert the second one over the top of it, wrap snugly in a towel and you're good to go. Here's a link:

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/regular-loaf-silicone-mold.aspx

If there are M&P embeds, would CPOP still work?
You can use MP embeds in CP soap but since MP melts, I wouldn't Oven Process -- unless you want that effect. :)

I create high tops for most of my soaps, embed with M&P on almost every top, cover every soap I make with cling wrap, - if it's my 1501 molds I do as Zany just describes above (have been doing that for years) then insulate in a box with towels for 18-24 hours. If it's my ED molds, I skip the boxing part, but still cover with cling wrap and towels. Gels every time, never melts the M&P, and slices perfectly with my wire cutter, even when the M&P gets in the way, because I rarely strategically place my embeds.
IF my soap overheats, it could flatten the high tops, but that only happens when I'm not prepared with a fragrance that overheats. Once I know if a fragrance is a heater, I don't put the towels on the box, but I still put in the box. Still, never had a problem once I know that about the fragrance.

However, as others have said, don't CPOP with M&P on top. (I've done it when the M&P embeds are mixed within the loaf and have not had any problems, but did try once with them on top, and yeah, melted M&P on top of the soap loaf! LOL)

Latest posts

Back