~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Business Forum > Craft Fairs & Shows > Set up/tear down woes- please help!

Old 11-08-2016, 06:45 PM   #11
TBandCW

Liked 239 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 62

That fabric would look great! I also like the idea of iron on decals if you wanted a more personal choice.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:12 PM   #12
Saponista

Liked 1257 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I'm thinking you need to keep certain parts of your stall ready set up to just get out and put up. The parts where all the jewellery is pinned on need to be made smaller so they can be packed away in one piece each time without having to take each item off and just re stock them as necessary. 5 hours is just such a huge waste of your time! I really feel for you.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:51 PM   #13
dixiedragon

Liked 3633 Times on 2089 Posts
Likes Given: 1606

I'm with Saponista. I'm thinking get one of those really long Rubbermade type containers - like the ones that go under beds. Then get only picture frames that will fit in those containers. Put your picture frames with jewelry in those. then if you need to get to it between shows, you only have 1 container to go through.

Regarding the pages. You could make some kind of scaffolding and attach the pages to those. Then take down the scaffolding. The pages are all attached to 1 long dowel, so roll that one up.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:16 AM   #14
PuddinAndPeanuts

Liked 185 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator9 View Post
While I like your backdrop, if it's a major time suck, as you say, I'd definitely consider something else that can work as well, but doesn't take so much time. Although you may have a banner, I don't see one in any of your pics. How about a solid backdrop with a big banner going across the back? You could have something equally as cool, and attention grabbing, but less time consuming. You've got to find a way to cut down on your set up/breakdown time, it's just way too much. I don't know how long you've been doing this, but sooner or later, it will get you. I sure hope you making big bucks at your shows to make up for all the time you're spending. Like TBandCW, I'm a control freak when it comes to set up, but if you have someone at least to help you unload, get all your stuff into the venue and get tables set up and tablecloths on, and that backdrop up, I know for me, that's the part I don't enjoy, and that I find the hardest. I love setting everything out on the tables, and arranging things, although if I had as much stuff as you do...I don't know. It just seems really overwhelming to me, and I know how tired I am at the end of a show, having been up late the night before, and early that morning, and thinking of having to spend another five hours breaking down would burn me out in no time. I'm hoping for your sake that you're in your twenties!!! LOL

Definitely not in my 20's! The backdrop, I've got a few ideas to speed that up. I'm not willing to give it up just now- it's too much of a draw. And despite all the work- it is worth my time. I guess if I calculated what I make per hour I'd faint with horror- but- I'm about 3/4 poor, and the profit from one good show pays my mortgage for the month.

I have discovered something silly that makes just a huge difference. I started wearing headphones and listening to music. I swear if shaves an hour and a half off set up time. Of course, then I "serenade" those around me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedragon View Post
Re waterproofing - check out the storage section - I get them in Publix - for giant ziplock bags.

Regarding the pages - they are very cool looking! But if they are paper I am assuming they are somewhat fragile?

Maybe a fabric like this:
https://www.fabric.com/buy/0278289/p...d-29889bf8fb7b

You make iron-on of some of the large objects you have, like the shoe. Attach them to a wooden dowel or a painted PVC pipe. When you are done for the day, roll them up. That way they don't wrinkle, and they store tightly.

The book pages are laminated- totally water proof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddinAndPeanuts View Post
Definitely not in my 20's! The backdrop, I've got a few ideas to speed that up. I'm not willing to give it up just now- it's too much of a draw. And despite all the work- it is worth my time. I guess if I calculated what I make per hour I'd faint with horror- but- I'm about 3/4 poor, and the profit from one good show pays my mortgage for the month.

I have discovered something silly that makes just a huge difference. I started wearing headphones and listening to music. I swear if shaves an hour and a half off set up time. Of course, then I "serenade" those around me too...

I like your book pages on scaffolding idea a lot- I may do that instead of the other idea I was considering, thanks!

TBandCW Likes This