Gel Phase

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soap1233

Reaction score
I am new at soaping and can anyone explain to me the gel phase of soap.
Should soap go through a gel phase or am I trying not to let it gel ?

Very confused only made 3 batches of RTM soap, it was very creamy but a large circle in middle showed gel..Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening or do I want this to happen.

The soap has dried and the circle is now gone I have tested it, tongue method and have no sting, and it looks alot better now after a week.

There are lots of posts on the gel stage. You might want to try doing a search.

I've read where others put their soaps in the freezer/fridge. I only do that with small soaps where I'm using specialty molds.

You should find numerous suggestions when you run your search.

your soap can be fine either way. Gelling the soap totally(no ring in it) allows you to unmold and cut a bit earlier. Un gelling totally(no ring in it) usually makes a lighter less opaque looking soap. The ring is a sign of partial gel. No biggie just an appearance thing mostly,and if your faded all the better.

Sounds like you got a partial gel. Gelling or not is a matter of personal preference. I prefer not to gel, but sometimes it does anyway.

Back