Welcome to the SMF Family!! Please read this first :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm Lynn. I got into cold processed soaping a little over two years ago, but then got really sick for a couple of years. I was just getting comfortable with the whole process, feeling pretty comfortable, and yet still had questions I needed to address when I got sick. I'm getting stronger, and I'm just itching to get back to it! It's going to be like starting all over again. I've forgotten so much! Thank you for this forum! I'm off to explore. :)

Just starting liquid soaps

Hi, I'm Lisa, from Connecticut in the US Northeast. I've been making CP soaps for a year or so now, and today I tried my first liquid soap recipe. It wasn't as hard or as time consuming as I thought it would be, but my stick blender got tired long before it was ready. I was thinking of using an electric drill with a paddle mixer, like you'd use for paint. Has anyone tried that?

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the forum! I've never used an electric drill but I remember it being mentioned in the past. A member was using one because he made huge batches. He liked it is about all I remember about it.

Hi, I am new here, My name is Anne, but everyone calls me Annie, or Kittie, since I have a 'couple cats' that think they are truly humans. It's nice to find a good group to share soaping with. I'm fairly newly retired ICU RN, and ready to really have some fun being creative cause I'm sure tired of working. I've been creative my whole life and always have many projects in the works. Very few UFO's.

I too, am addicted to making soap, and synthetic store bought 'soap' just doesn't work for me. I've kept many soapers in the money over the last 30 years. Since I began, I've made mostly natural type so far, a number of excursions using turmeric/paprika etc for colors and EOs for scents, but now I want to branch out using colorant/micas and FO's. So, I know I will need HELP! Especially after today's seemingly disastrous results.

I've been making CP, for a couple years, and haven't had a bad batch out of maybe 90-100 or so, usually a 3 lb batch a week. But, I think I have created a bad batch now. I searched for a forum for a couple days and found SMF. I've not been in a soap forum before, and I read a lot of posts here trying to learn more about rebatching. I know of it, but have never done it! I waited 96 hours, the batch in the log mold, and soap was like stiff jelly today, as I took it out of mold it was quite gooey, and I figure I may have poured it at too light of trace, and I reviewed my recipe and realized I used all soft oils, :( At the moment, it is in my SS pot, and sitting on the stove warmer, melting into mashed potatoes.

I'm new here and I'm already venting! Terrible of me, I do apologize. Soaping blues hit me hard!
Also, I should say that I weigh everything on my soaping gram scale, accuracy, like when I would give drugs to patients (double triple quad checking). Now, I'm just suddenly nervous. And I learned today that having that first bad batch gave me a desperate feeling with a sick feeling inside....LOLOL. And I know I must have just been lucky in the past...I always figured it would hit me sooner or later. I just hate the thought of having to throw away a 3 lb batch of good oils and EO's!

So, that's where I'm at, having a pot of whipped mashed potatoes and I just finished smushing them into my mold. SO, what's next?
I'm sure there's a thread....Thank you all in advance, for listening. I look forward to chatting with you all about S O A P !
Kittie

Hi Kittie,

Welcome to the forum! Please don't apologize for venting. We've all done it at one time or another (or possibly more times than I care to remember). :lol:

It doesn't sound like a disaster since it sounds like it is gelling. The batch will probably eventually harden but it's going to take longer than normal. You could just let it cure and see how it turns out. However, it would be better to post about the batch in the "Recipe Feedback" section if you want to hear alternatives since more people will see your post and be able to make suggestions. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Some things which would help us to help you are what percentages of oils, did you use a water discount, etc. I experimented once with mainly all soft oils except I did use some babassu oil. It took a long time to harden and even at 5 months, I could still press on it with my finger and leave an indentation. However, it did become my favorite facial soap.

Hello from Pennsylvania! I am finally admitting for all the world to see (or at least those that read this forum) that I am officially addicted to soap-making. I have been making soap (HP, CP, and liquid soap) since January of this year. I have been a member of the forum since April, but never had the nerve to say hi or write a post until this moment. I have learned so much reading through all the information on this forum, and have greatly appreciated all the wisdom that the members are willing to share with those of us that have less experience. I look forward to learning so much more!

Rhoda

Hi Rhoda,

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you've found the forum a good resource. I'm sorry you didn't feel comfortable saying hello when you joined. However, now you need to work up the nerve and post some soap pics. We like pictures. :grin:

Hi everyone!! I am a soaplover from Athens. I made my first batch in 2007 but have only been able to soap regularly the last 2 years, so I wouldn't dare to call myself a soapmaker yet. However, I am making soap and enjoying it a lot as well as my family and friends and still feel that excitement/anxiety/impatience I felt the first time...
I am so excited to join this forum finally! I have been following it 2-3 years now and have already found answers to many questions I would have wanted to ask, have got inspired and have learnt a great deal of stuff! But, being totally unsociable, I postponed joining all the time.
But now here I am! Happy to "meet" all of you at last and looking forward to talking with you about soaping!
A big THANK YOU to all members of this small, happy and helpful community! :smile:

Hello and welcome! I'm so glad you finally joined! You certainly can call yourself a soapmaker since you are making soap.

Off topic, many, many years ago I was in Athens for a brief stopover. I still remember how beautiful it was and how friendly people were to us. When I think of Athens, I think of an incredibly blue sky, white buildings, sunlight sparkling off of everything and those wonderful baklavas. Those spoiled me. I've never eaten another one as good as the ones I had in Athens.

Hi, I am new here, My name is Anne, but everyone calls me Annie, or Kittie,
Also, I should say that I weigh everything on my soaping gram scale, accuracy, like when I would give drugs to patients (double triple quad checking).

Hi Kittie, and welcome.

Crummy about your bad batch. Could your scale batteries be getting weak?

Off topic, many, many years ago I was in Athens for a brief stopover. I still remember how beautiful it was and how friendly people were to us. When I think of Athens, I think of an incredibly blue sky, white buildings, sunlight sparkling off of everything and those wonderful baklavas. Those spoiled me. I've never eaten another one as good as the ones I had in Athens.

I am glad you have nice memories of your short staying in Athens! Yes, baklavas is a big temptation, it' s my favorite too. I think you can find an equally good in Istanbul, if not better, but of course Athens has a lot of other charms, it is a beautiful place to be as long as you 're on vacation and you can stand the heat!! :wink:

hello from Virginia!

Hi! Katie here. I just made my 3rd batch of soap in 3 weeks (I'm 2 for 3 LOL). Hoping to get better and learn new stuff. Love the whole idea of making something useful (and healthy) for my family.

Hi everyone! Excited to join the forum. Have been making soap for about 9 months now - have all the basics down and looking to improve my skills, learn, and share with the SMF community!

Hey all! I am new to the Forum and new to soap making. I have been making soap for a few months and have a business. I create with all natural ingredients and doTERRA essential oils. I will need all the help and answers I can get! Thanks all! :)

Hi everyone! I'm Kristen! I have been making soap for about 3 months now. I started with hot process and finished my second cold process batch tonight (after a major fiasco with the bottom of my mold busting out :0 we will see how it turned out tomorrow during cutting!) I have dabbled in M&P but mostly just for my TARDIS and Lego molds :) I am excited to learn got everyone! I can't wait to read/see everyone's great ideas! Hopefully I will also be able to help out a bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back