Wanting Good Lard Recipe - What do you think?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1418671131.464731.jpg

Here it is!!

It behaved really well. I was definitely soaping too hot before, this was around 85f.

Colours are ultramarine blue, rosebud mica and activated charcoal.

FO is neroli camomile.

No hint of acceleration etc

If anything I'm worried it was too runny and the colours have all merged inside when I did the drop swirl

Can't wait to unmold.

It behaved really well. I was definitely soaping too hot before, this was around 85f.

FO is neroli camomile.

If anything I'm worried it was too runny and the colours have all merged inside when I did the drop swirl

Can't wait to unmold.

Have you cut your soap yet?

FO is neroli camomile.

Can't wait to unmold.
Did your lard soap go through gel? I made 2 batches today, same recipe but one batch was smaller than the other and neither one went through gel and I insulated both. I'm very interested to see what they look like cut tomorrow night.

I don't think it did even though I insulated. Looking forward to seeing yours. Did you swirl?

I tried a spoon swirl again with both. The larger batch I colored with AC, TD and Alkanet Root powder. The other I colored with just dried dandelion leaves for a green color and used EVOO so I would get a yellowish natural color. I will cut both tonight.

I have used a lot of lard recently in my soap. Previously I was unconvinced about it, like 'meh', but I have tried one of my well cured (3 months) lavender soaps 20/48/27/5 coconut oil/lard/ho sunflower/castor and it was gorgeous for the winter time! so delicate and it did lather very well after such time. So I soap more often with lard now and I have found that with higher percentages of it in my recipe, I need to force gel by cpop, otherwise the soap stays ungelled and takes zillion of years to unmold - it is too soft.

Well I was able to cut the smaller loaf last night but the larger one was way too soft. I've always been able to cut my soap after a full 24 hours. I tried cutting it despite it being soft and I'm pretty disappointed. I let it sit for another 24 hours and it's a little firmer but still too soft.
Does it usually take this long for lard soap to harden up enough to cut?

Did you do the same recipe as myself? Your #4 recipe? Mine unmolded easily after 24 hours

How odd
Yes I used the #4 recipe, both unmolded easily but the larger batch was too soft to cut, still is as of this morning and i made it sunday morning.

Stick it into the freezer for a couple of hours, then cut while still really cold. You really need to look into why it is so soft, though.

Did you gel it?

Stick it into the freezer for a couple of hours, then cut while still really cold. You really need to look into why it is so soft, though.

Did you gel it?

Ahh freezer good idea! I insulated and tried to make it gel but it didn't.

Back