Get off my a$$ about lard!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are forgiven. :grin:

Now that everyone has gotten everything off their chests, here is the formula for my very first ever lard soap. I refer to it as my VCC #1 formula (VCC stands for 'veggie con carne' :razz: ). It went through a couple of tweaks before I settled on my VCC #3 formula, which contains both lard and tallow, but this is the one that got me hooked on using lard in my soap. It makes a great bar, and I hope you all enjoy as much I do:

Olive Oil 34%
Palm Kernel Oil 31.5%
Lard 26.5%
Castor Oil 8%

IrishLass :)

Thanks! This looks awesome, and I'm going to try exactly that ASAP. I love your idea to do a lard/tallow blend as well, so I'm adding that to my test list. :D

My lard soap recipe:
45% lard (sometimes I do half lard and half tallow)
20% coconut
25% olive
5% castor
5% sunflower

Lard is a perfect soap making oil. No other oil contributes hardness, bubbles and conditioning to soap. ESPECIALLY that that price point!

Thanks! :D I see you use 5% sunflower, and I've seen a few pros do that as well. What do you experience as the benefit/additional qualities of adding it? We have a local, small batch maker nearby, and I'd love to use them (especially in small percentages because, as always, small batch is more expensive).

I too have wondered about sunflower oil..several times almost grabbed some and didn't..but Im heading to town tomorrow so I might just go all out and get some.

I generally add about 5-7% of some light oil (sunflower, grape seed or peanut ) to my recipe. Biggest reason, frankly, is that they are all widely available locally (as opposed to having to order Palm and coconut) and inexpensive. Each of them counters the harshness of the coconut oil and provides conditioning. It's all about balance of oils in soap making to me.

Last edited:
While castor and soy both used alone would produce too soft of a soap, I find I can use soy as a bulk base oil and prefer to use castor in smaller SF amounts..soy catches its flack about as much as lard does lol...but imma keep it..I like it :D

Ok...so quick follow-up. No one in my life can appreciate this but you guys. Here is the official "Praise the Lard" soap stamped with my church logo. Obviously, I need to clean it up a but, but still....

image.jpg

Last edited:
It's lovely, DW, and just for the record, I made Hanukkah soaps today with lard. No, I'm not evil--they are gifts my mother is giving out and I checked with her first. The recipients don't keep kosher and wouldn't care. Still, I got a dirty little thrill melting down the pig fat.

Okay, so I'm a tiny bit evil...

It's lovely, DW, and just for the record, I made Hanukkah soaps today with lard. No, I'm not evil--they are gifts my mother is giving out and I checked with her first. The recipients don't keep kosher and wouldn't care. Still, I got a dirty little thrill melting down the pig fat.

Okay, so I'm a tiny bit evil...

OK. That is a little bit evil. (Makes me want a hot dog too, so STOP IT!) ;)

I asked a local reform rabbi(hospice nurses get to know clergy of every denomination), and he said as long as they were not eating the lard, it did not matter. If someone is keeping kosher, though, the pig slaughter needed to be handled a certain way, and witnessed by the proper authority.

I asked a local reform rabbi(hospice nurses get to know clergy of every denomination), and he said as long as they were not eating the lard, it did not matter. If someone is keeping kosher, though, the pig slaughter needed to be handled a certain way, and witnessed by the proper authority.

Well check us out! Soap and World Religions 101.

Last edited:
It is a bit different with other religions so please keep that in mind. Of course, individuals have their own adherence beliefs to each standard.

My 9-5 company is very diverse; I would play it safe and only bring vegan products without additives that someone may object to if bringing gifts to work. I'd hate to have someone use something unknowingly that would cause them religious upset. A quick stroll around the office: Baha'i receptionist, programmers in all the flavors of the religious rainbow (Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Mormon, Shinto, Jewish, Christian, Atheists-that-are-vegans, Wiccans). There are also folks with nut allergies or staying gluten-free and lactose intolerant people. Ordering pizza can be quite the challenge. On the plus side, there's always a holiday for someone going on so treats are brought in by folks pretty often! LOL

Muslims generally avoid anything pig-related. Other animal products should come from Halal certified butchers.
Hindus generally avoid anything cow-related and may be comfortable only with vegan products.
Buddhists generally avoid all animal products.
A number of religions/sects avoid drugs: coffee, beer, etc.

Some might object only to consuming those items, but others would not want to handle them either.

Cheers and happy-whatever-you-are-celebrating-today!

Latest posts

Back