~*~ SMF March 2017 Challenge - Black Background Soaps! ~*~
~ March 2017 Black Background Soap Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Aromatherapy, Herbs and Essential Oils > Ideas of what to mix with these EO's?

Old 12-30-2016, 06:17 PM   #1
SoapyGoats

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Default Ideas of what to mix with these EO's?

I *cough* love buying essential oils that sound cool...expensive addiction I'm telling ya!

Anyway, I now have some eo's that I don't know what to do with but want to use them, ideas? I have a host of other eo's besides these ones

Rosewood
Copaiba
Cajeput
Ravensara
Ajowan
Niaouli
Tangerine (common yes, but I don't know what to do with it since I like other citruses better!)
Fir Needle
Pin Needle Scotch
Benzion
Anise Star

Old 12-30-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
TeresaT
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2249 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 3494

Mix the tangerine with equal parts orange and grapefruit EOs then one half part spearmint. It makes a lovely citrus mint that does well in CO soap. You can even add some lemon for a zestier kick. Citrus mint is my most popular fragrance. I'm at work right mow and don't have the exact EOs that I put into it. I can check when I get home, if you want.

People Like This 
Old 12-30-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
dibbles
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1483 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

2 parts lavender, 2 parts lemon and 1 part rosewood is lovely. But of course the lemon fades. I think I would try 2 parts lavender, 1 part rosewood and 1/2 part litsea or lemongrass instead.

If you have ylang ylang and amyris a blend I like is 2 parts lavender, 1 or 2 parts ylang ylang, 1 part amyris.
People Like This 
Old 12-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #4
SoapyGoats

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Oooh, Teresa, that sounds so good! Would love the 'recipe' for that
Dibbles, I'm going to have to try that first blend, it sounds good. I have Ylang Ylang but not Amyris...what does it smell like?

Old 12-30-2016, 09:18 PM   #5
lsg
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 2838 Times on 2032 Posts
Likes Given: 180

You might try this chart:

http://www.lgbotanicals.com/assets/p...lendschart.pdf

Be somebody who makes everybody feel like a somebody.
People Like This 
Old 01-09-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
Debs

Liked 37 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaT View Post
Mix the tangerine with equal parts orange and grapefruit EOs then one half part spearmint. It makes a lovely citrus mint that does well in CO soap. You can even add some lemon for a zestier kick. Citrus mint is my most popular fragrance. I'm at work right mow and don't have the exact EOs that I put into it. I can check when I get home, if you want.
Hi Teresa - hope you get this as it's a couple of weeks since it was posted- I'd love to hear exactly what you put in your citrus mint recipe. I've been playing with lime, orange 10x and maychang which is lovely and i think it may last longer than some of my other experiments but the thought of adding mint sounds lush!! i found a recipe today which put eucalyptus with peppermint that i might try too so i could do it at the same time as yours?!
SoapyGoats Likes This 
Old 01-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #7
dixiedragon

Liked 3059 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Since you enjoy EOs so much, I'd blend anything with anything else! get a paper towel or a coffee filter, put a few drops of EO on it, put it in a plastic baggie or a babyfood jar, write the blend on there, then take a survey! There are lots of "tried and true" combos...but you may stumble onto something new and wonderful.

I would also look at what EOs you have that are lip safe and try combinations with them to find something new for lip balm.
People Like This 
Old 01-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
TeresaT
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2249 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 3494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debs View Post
Hi Teresa - hope you get this as it's a couple of weeks since it was posted- I'd love to hear exactly what you put in your citrus mint recipe. I've been playing with lime, orange 10x and maychang which is lovely and i think it may last longer than some of my other experiments but the thought of adding mint sounds lush!! i found a recipe today which put eucalyptus with peppermint that i might try too so i could do it at the same time as yours?!
I completely forgot about this. I'm sorry. I just printed out the recipe. I made a large batch of it and used these amounts: 1.2 oz Pink Grapefruit, 1 oz Spearmint, 4 oz Sweet Orange and 4 oz Tangerine. This made 10.2 oz which may be too much for you to try out. The 1 oz recipe is: 3.34 g Pink Grapefruit, 2.78 g Spearmint, 11.12 g Sweet Orange and 11.12 g Tangerine. You can round these numbers off and it won't matter much.

I also pulled up the recipe I used for the grapefruit rosemary my friend liked: 58 g Pink Grapefruit and 28 g Rosemary. It was supposed to be a 2:1 ratio grapefruit to rosemary, but I was slightly off with the rosemary. I don't think it really matters much; however, rosemary is much stronger smelling than grapefruit, so maybe that one gram does matter.

I've got to go to work, but remind me again, I've got an awesome recipe for bug repellent that is only EOs (a LOT of eo's). My friend tested it out during the summer in the woods. Not a tick, gnat, mosquito (or person) came within a mile of her.

People Like This