~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Liquid Soap and Cream Soap Forum > Shaving Cream like Cremo?

Old 12-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #1
dblbubble

Liked 15 Times on 7 Posts

Default Shaving Cream like Cremo?

My husband uses Cremo (a creamy shaving cream...it's not a traditional wet shaving soap) that he shaves with. I would love to make something like it for him.

Has anyone made a shaving cream like this? If so, would you be willing to share a recipe or technique?

Old 12-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #2
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11355 Times on 5143 Posts
Likes Given: 5069

Water (Aqua), Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Glycol Distearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Polyether-1, Hydroxypropyl Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Allantoin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Xylitol, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit and Carica Papaya Fruit Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract, Linalool, Limonene, BHT, Perfluoromethyl-cyclopentane, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Titanium Dioxide, Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum)

This is going to be tough to duplicate if you want to start with a true soap made with NaOH or KOH and fat. The primary ingredient is Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate (SCI), and that's a synthetic detergent. The rest of the ingredients read more like a recipe for a lotion.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #3
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8322 Times on 3980 Posts
Likes Given: 3826

Real cream soaps (made with oils and lye) have a lot of stearic in it, which is good for shaving soaps, but some of the other ingredients which seem to be good for a cream soap aren't always ideal for a shaving soap. I think that it would be possible, but I would make a small batch of shaving soap with only KOH as the lye and see how he finds it (if he has a brush, of course)

Old 12-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #4
Ivanstein

Liked 73 Times on 31 Posts

Creamo is OK if you just slather it on and don't lather it at all.

It is nowhere near as good as a high quality shave soap with a decent brush.

Try this:

50% stearic acid
48% coconut oil
2% castor oil

Use 100% KOH. (Note: most KOH is 90% pure, so take that into consideration) Generally I do a 33% lye concentration.

Hot process until translucent and put it in a wide bowl for easy lathering. Let it cure for a week or so before use.

It can be scented with essential oils or fragrance oils, which I stir in just before putting in the container. Personal Favorite is the "clarity" blend from eocalc.

Also, 1lb of oils is A LOT of shave soap. Of you have an accurate scale, I would start with 1/2 lb.

Some people add extra glycerine because stearic acid doesn't make glycerine when saponified. I haven't found it necessary. But, there is a possibility you could make a creamo like substance if you stirred in some glycerine after the cook. I have never tried it....

...but looks like I have another project now!!!
Zany_in_CO Likes This