~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > If you don't sell, what are you doing with all your soap

Old 11-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #21
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8322 Times on 3980 Posts
Likes Given: 3826

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibbles View Post
.......I only heard back from the teen shelter, saying they didn't have a need for soap.........
Sounds like teen-agers alright!

People Like This 
Old 11-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #22
dixiedragon

Liked 3706 Times on 2139 Posts
Likes Given: 1642

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcandleattic View Post
I've never tried to contact the shelters before just taking them to the shelters.
I figure the administrators are busy, and don't actually know what the shelters really need, (rarely do the administrators actually work at or with the actual shelters) so if it's not money, in a significant amount, I feel they won't reply.
Taking my extras directly to the shelters themselves, I have never been turned away, and they are always thankful and appreciative.
I don't want to have to label or shrink wrap them, so I'd like to know if the food bank will take them as is. A lot of them are "factory seconds" - they look weird, fragrance is great, etc. I may do a super-basic label - just ingredients, no individual scent name, and put them in sandwich baggies or something.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:26 PM   #23
jcandleattic

Liked 645 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedragon View Post
I don't want to have to label or shrink wrap them, so I'd like to know if the food bank will take them as is. A lot of them are "factory seconds" - they look weird, fragrance is great, etc. I may do a super-basic label - just ingredients, no individual scent name, and put them in sandwich baggies or something.
Not sure about food banks, but the shelters I deliver to take them naked.
I give both labelled and unlabelled. My basic recipe rarely changes, so for the ones not labelled I do give a tiny print out (the one I used to give when I sold naked bars) to the shelter with the soaps.
They literally are grateful to get whatever they can and are not too choosy. (to an extent of course)

Old 11-17-2017, 02:22 AM   #24
SunRiseArts
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 898 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Efficacious Gentleman View Post
I don't sell. So if I don't need to make soap, I don't make soap. Seems to be a novel way to avoid having stacks and piles of soap on hand

but, but, but projects and designs!
People Like This 
Old 11-17-2017, 03:40 AM   #25
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1205 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 735

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRiseArts View Post
but, but, but projects and designs!
And colors and scents and trying out different recipes...

Old 11-18-2017, 01:01 AM   #26
SunRiseArts
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 898 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcandleattic View Post
Any excess I have at the end of the year (around Thanksgiving time) that I don't think I want to try and continue selling, or give away (because everyone already has so much) I take them to the local women's and homeless shelters.
I tried giving them to Red Cross, but they refused to take them because they were not "brand new, brand name, store bought" items.
I've never had a problem with the women's shelters or the homeless shelters taking them, and they are always very thankful for them. I usually take anywhere between 30-40lbs of soaps. Unfortunately that is never near enough, but it does help.
I could be wrong, but the red cross only takes blood and money, which I find disturbing ....

Where I live there is a place call Samaritan inn. I think is a state wide thing, but again, I could be mistaken. Is were abused women go with their children until they can get back on their feet.

That is were I take mine.
Millie Likes This 
Old 11-18-2017, 03:10 AM   #27
jcandleattic

Liked 645 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRiseArts View Post
I could be wrong, but the red cross only takes blood and money, which I find disturbing ....

Where I live there is a place call Samaritan inn. I think is a state wide thing, but again, I could be mistaken. Is were abused women go with their children until they can get back on their feet.

That is were I take mine.
Up until about 3 years ago, I used to donate clothes, shoes, (used), soap (mine), and old (unbroken) toys, to the Red Cross and they happily took them. 3 years ago, I went to take my donations to them, and they refused it saying they only took new unopened merchandise or money. (nothing was said about blood) So I got disgusted and stormed off. LOL

Ever since then I only take my stuff to the shelters.

Here we have Samaritan House. Not sure if it's women only, but the shelter I take my soaps to is the same as you described, for women and children. Can't remember the name off the top of my head.