Hydrosols

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenneelk

Reaction score
Has anyone used this to replace their water and use as a fragrance? How does it come out scent wise? I have several 16 oz. bottles of it that I really don't need and thought of using it as the fragrance by replacing the water with it.

I make my own lavender and rose water and use them for my lye solution. You still have to use scent but I find the floral waters help boost the scent. I also like using fresh herbs in my water as an infusion.

Thanks Candybee! I had wondered about this too since I have a few bottles that I've thought of using. Jenneelk, let me know how yours comes out if/when you decide to give this a try.

I save my hyrdosols for lotions, creams and shampoos. I don't think the delicate scent would last through saponification.

Lsg - I still can't get a clear answer if they are in fact distilled enough to use in my lotions. I'm guessing you know? :)

They will not replace all of the fragrance in lotion. You can just use less fragrance or essential oil along with the hydrosol. I would heat and hold the hydrosol at 160*F before using in lotion, cream or shampoo. I always add a heat a little extra hydrosol because of the loss of water content during the heat and hold process.

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/search?q=heat+and+hold

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/search?q=using+hydrosols+in+lotion

I watched a youtube video where hydrosols are used after the cook in hp. Some of the water is held back so that a hydrosol could be added. She said this would improve the scent retention and keep more of the benefits. It appeared that the soap goes in smoother in the mold after cook too.

I can speak from experience and tell you that my homemade floral waters helped to anchor the scent and make it last longer and have more depth. It really blew me away how well they worked in my CP soaps. But then maybe freshly homemade floral waters are stronger. Don't know. I still use lavender FO for lavender water and rose FO with rose water. But there definitely is an improvement in the overal scent, retention, and intensity.

I use hydrosols in my lotions and facial cleanser. The scent seems to last quite awhile and I've never had a problem using them on my skin. Since I have a good stock of them I'm going to try one in a cp batch.

Back