~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Bath and Body Forum > Citric Acid Questions

Old 11-21-2017, 11:26 PM   #1
bbr

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Citric Acid Questions

I had to buy some emergency citric acid for my shows this weekend, which means that I had to buy what I could get my hands on.

Lately I've been using Milliard Citric Acid, and it seems to have a pretty small crystal structure. Well, this new stuff, from Spicy World, has a longer crystalline structure.

I made two identical batches of bombs last night. The first with the usual recipe and the second with the Spicy World CA.

Let's just say that the second batch did not go well. It was a huge struggle to get things to stick.

So, my question is, if I whizzed the Spicy World CA in my food processor to break these crystals up, would I have better luck getting my bombs to stick?

Old 11-25-2017, 02:53 AM   #2
bbr

Ok, well, I tried it. Whizzing the CA in my food processor. Now I'm not entirely sure that was my problem.

The first batch of it I made was a regular small batch. Everything came together like a champ! So, it worked.

The second batch I made, immediately after, seriously, without hesitation I went into the second batch. That one was a failure. The only difference this time was that I had doubled my batch.

Also in this CA experiment I had weighed all ingredients, because, lets face it, there's variance with volumetric measurements. Well, I'm wondering if something happened when I doubled the batch.

At any rate, I'm going to have a lot of bath soak, instead of bombs. Nothing about this batch stuck.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:02 AM   #3
penelopejane

Liked 1934 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 2956

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbr View Post
Ok, well, I tried it. Whizzing the CA in my food processor. Now I'm not entirely sure that was my problem.

The first batch of it I made was a regular small batch. Everything came together like a champ! So, it worked.

The second batch I made, immediately after, seriously, without hesitation I went into the second batch. That one was a failure. The only difference this time was that I had doubled my batch.

Also in this CA experiment I had weighed all ingredients, because, lets face it, there's variance witch volumetric measurements. Well, I'm wondering if something happened when I doubled the batch.

At any rate, I'm going to have a lot of bath soak, instead of bombs. Nothing about this batch stuck.

Scaling up sometimes doesn't work.
My dh is a paint chemist and they often had to reformulate to scale up.

Wish I could help you more but I don't make them.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:15 PM   #4
bbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopejane View Post
Scaling up sometimes doesn't work.
My dh is a paint chemist and they often had to reformulate to scale up.

Wish I could help you more but I don't make them.
Yeah, I have a feeling that's what it might be. I wonder if I made a regular batch of just one color for all the colors if that would get me to where I need to be.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:27 AM   #5
Dahila
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1406 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3521

I never go over 1500 g a batch, it is easy to make another one, that amount of powders give me some time to work with it, I only spray when I have like 5 bombs left the batch gives me about 20 2' bb

Old 11-28-2017, 02:48 AM   #6
bathgeek

Liked 118 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 78

I find my bath bombs tend to fail when I try to make larger batches. Iíve resigned myself to single batches.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:00 PM   #7
PuddinAndPeanuts

Liked 191 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I suspect an ounce of citric acid before reducing particle size and an ounce after reducing particle size arenít quite the same thing- seems logical that theyíll require different amounts of moisture in the batch.

When doubling batches, small problems seem to become amplified. Try increasing in half batch increments

Old 11-30-2017, 01:44 AM   #8
bbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddinAndPeanuts View Post
I suspect an ounce of citric acid before reducing particle size and an ounce after reducing particle size arenít quite the same thing- seems logical that theyíll require different amounts of moisture in the batch.

When doubling batches, small problems seem to become amplified. Try increasing in half batch increments
But this was the batch that I weighed everything out in grams. Both the first and the second batch which I just doubled the recipe for.

It stands to reason, that if the first batch called for 50g, that the second would call for 100, and so long as all the ratios are scaled equally, wouldn't I yield the same outcome?

I would love to know what people who make large batches do, because as it stands, 1 batch only yields 8 bombs for me.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:27 AM   #9
penelopejane

Liked 1934 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 2956

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbr View Post
But this was the batch that I weighed everything out in grams. Both the first and the second batch which I just doubled the recipe for.

It stands to reason, that if the first batch called for 50g, that the second would call for 100, and so long as all the ratios are scaled equally, wouldn't I yield the same outcome?

I would love to know what people who make large batches do, because as it stands, 1 batch only yields 8 bombs for me.
This might not work because the ingredients dry out quicker than they should or a certain reaction doesn't work properly or a tiny bit more than the recipe calls for actually changes the whole thing. See my post on your other thread.