Lanolin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tirelan

Reaction score
When I was younger my aunt turned us onto Arbonne the swedish natural products, they were expensive but during a tester they put a cracker into Lanolin and it petrified. I've since then always been fearful to use it /wear it in anything I put in my skin. What are the pros and cons of it?

A cracker is not the same as your skin. I don't think they have any similarities except for they both may have some salt on them.
I'm betting if we put a cracker in jojoba oil or shea butter it would probably do the exact same thing.

A couple years ago I went to an Arbonne party and wanted to leave half way during the presentation. The misinformation, Oy! The referred to lanolin as animal excrement and were talking about how gross it is to rub an oil from an animal all over your body. First, lanolin is a wax, not an oil. Second, during the party the rep sure ate a lot of cocktail wieners and drank a lot of diet pepsi for someone who was so worried about what goes in and on her body.

One other thing, was she emphasized that they only use Vitamins as preservatives. Eww!!

Lanolin has been used for a very, very long time on babies, breastfeeding mothers' sore nipples, dry lips, dry cracked heels, etc.

I've used it in lotion, lip balm and solid lotion.

We've used it on our sons wool cloth diaper covers, to make them waterproof.

Cons:
Can be very sticky
Not vegan friendly
Just like any other thing in the world, someone can be allergic to it.

Here's some info about lanolin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanolin

I live in New Zealand and we have lots of sheep and lanolin is very commonly used here. Its in most NZ made lotions and creams, it beautiful to use and very popular with locals and tourists.

Is the cracker thing refering to damaging your skin?? that sounds rediculous to me, Ive never heard it referred to in that way before.

I think its a bit smelly though :lol:

Lanolin has a very high water content and offers outstanding skin barrier protection. It is known to be soothing, and a pp said it is used extensively in baby care and breastfeeding care products. Lanolin is present in the sheeps wool, which is sheared seasonally - the sheep are not killed or harmed in the process of extracting the lanolin. People who are allergic to wool will most likely be allergic to lanolin. It is very sticky, but offers amazing glide when used at 2-5% in water-based and anhydrous formulations. The cracker thing is just weird. What does a cracker have to do with human skin? My mother raises sheep and spins their wool and she has the most unbelievably soft skin from all of that natural lanolin. Give it a try, don't be fooled by gimmicky marketing tactics!

I use lanolin in a lot of products and find it adds so much to the product for moisturizing and conditioning factors.

People who like to do that dance (fear mongering) usually have something to gain by pulling people away from the product or ingredient.... imo

Latest posts

Back