Phenolphthalein

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norai

Reaction score
So, I'm making some HP soap and trying to test for done-ness with phenolphthalein. I take a little smidgen out, put a drop of phenolphthalein on it, and it turns pink.

Pink means not done, right? Well I wander off and let it cook some more and come back and the pink on the plate has gone back to clear?? Tried this several more times with the same result...

Does the phenolphthalein degrade/evaporate when it sits out, or do you think my soap is actually done since it's clear now? confused!

There is no zap, but it is definitely pink for some amount of time...

oops! I put this in the wrong forum. meant to be in CP forum! oh well

I use it when I do HP liquid soaps. I do not use it to tell me if it is done or not but to tell me if the PH is to high or not. I test after the soap is done. Not sure about HP soap bars. Hope this helps.

Bruce

You really don't need phenolphthalein when you make bar soap. HP or CP.

Bar soap, soap made with NaOH is basic, the pH usually being in the range of 8.5 to 10.5.

Liquid soap, soap made with KOH, is ideally on the acidic/neutral side. It has a much lower pH level, more like human skin 4 to 5. Liquid soap is in the range of about 4 to 7.

Phenolphthalein turns pink in a basic solution, anything between 8.2 and 12.

Latest posts

Back