Cows Milk Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottief

Reaction score
Im looking to make a cows milk soap recipe. Im trying to make my own recipe. could you give me feed back on what I've done so far. Im new to this and I am trying to figure out how to get a well rounded bar. The oils i have at home so far are EVOO, Coconut Oil, Shea butter,Castor,Veg and canola oil and lard. The recipe I have made looks like this,

Castor Oil 20%
Coconut Oil 10%
Olive Oil 20%
Shea Butter 20%
Lard 30%

I never go over 5% Castor oil and 15% shea butter. You can make up the rest with coconut and olive oils and lard.

I never go over 5% Castor oil and 15% shea butter. You can make up the rest with coconut and olive oils and lard.

I would not go over 5% castor oil, and I would leave the shea butter out altogether. Lye does not care what oils it makes into soap. You may get label appeal from the shea, but it really does not help the soap much, IMHO. I would use the balance of the oils in the following percentages: Lard(or tallow) 45%, Coconut 20%, Olive 25%. This is a good balance to me.

Last edited:
Olive Oil 50
Coconut oil 25
Lard 20
Castor 5
6-8% Superfat

Save your expensive Shea for Lotion bars
or not
Olive 45
Coconut 30
lard 15
Shea 5
Castor 5

Im looking to make a cows milk soap recipe. Im trying to make my own recipe. could you give me feed back on what I've done so far. Im new to this and I am trying to figure out how to get a well rounded bar. The oils i have at home so far are EVOO, Coconut Oil, Shea butter,Castor,Veg and canola oil and lard. The recipe I have made looks like this,

Castor Oil 20%
Coconut Oil 10%
Olive Oil 20%
Shea Butter 20%
Lard 30%

Thanks for the help. Ive been trying to figure out the amounts to use for each oil. I guess it takes a little practice.

Latest posts

Back