BAD olive oils!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azimuth

Reaction score
I'm SOOO frustrated and angry. I was making Castile soap last night in my three log molds. I thought I would give it one last shot with this "new" olive oil I got that was a store brand. The last two really messed up my batches.. they were Star and Saint Monks. What happened? This one did it too. I am completely utterly fed up with these olive oil companies adulterating their oils. Really. I just cannot afford to keep wasting money by doing this. :x :x :x :x
What works for you? I may have to order from a soapy supplier.

Yes- what exactly is going wrong?

For what it's worth, I use Costco's in-house brand- Kirkland Pure Olive Oil. I've never had any issues with it, and it's been my go-to olive oil for the past 6 years or so.

A very trustworthy online source is Soapers Choice (Columbus Foods) out of Ohio.

IrishLass :)

Sorry I was typing all emotionally and completely left out the reason why it was bad - :roll:

It was put in the mold last night around 11:00, covered it with towels, checked it around 9:00 this morning and it is extremely soft and fairly oily. This is a 2.5 lb batch I made.

Soaped at room temp, added 3 oz calendula extract at trace.

Ah... well... there's your problem.

Except it isn't a problem. Sometimes Castiles take as much as 72 hours to set up enough to unmold, depending on your house temperatures.

Pure olive oil soaps are tricky... they take a long time to trace and a long time to set up.

Your best bet is to just leave it alone and come back in a day or two and check

I use star a lot and have not had troubles. I use the EVOO Star.

the SAP of olive and soybean oils are almost identical, and actually you will get soap faster with soy or a soy blend than with olive alone - so I'm afraid the issue isn't likely to be adulteration.

like the others, I think your soap just needs more time (lots more) in the mold. make sure you reach true emulsification (go for medium trace to be sure) and it doesn't hurt to either cut back on the water or heat up your oil or both.... (assuming you are willing to let it gel).

Agree with the others ... just leave it and let it harden.

I've made castile with OO and EVOO (No additives) and they've taken to or three days to set and a few more days before unmoulding. I've learnt to make my castile in individual moulds, as when it does firm, it firms very hard.

With castile it takes loads of patience!

Like the others suggested, I left it alone and now its nearly hard as a rock. But HECK if I am getting it out of the mold any time soon! :(

Try popping them in the freezer for a couple hours if you're sure it's hardened up. It's the only way I can get my olive oil soaps out of the mold (without tearing them up) without waiting over a week.

Back