~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Business Forum > General Business Forum > So I received this certified letter in the mail yesterday...

Old 06-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #31
wetshavingproducts

Liked 130 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAnna View Post
Yep, that's how I see it too. The other party might be willing to escalate, but they might not. At this point, however, their complaint is "all hat, but no cattle."
If anything, I imagine they will send a second letter to my reply with actual witness testimony or some other actual evidence; or a vague allegation that upon information and belief it is prima facie confusingly similar.

I am 99.99% certain that both the following are true: 1) they aren't willing to pay for an actual complaint to be filed & served, and 2) the law firm in question is not willing to stake their bar numbers on filing such a frivolous lawsuit without actual and credible witness testimony.

People Like This 
Old 06-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #32
dixiedragon

Liked 3706 Times on 2139 Posts
Likes Given: 1642

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAnna View Post
"...if they had cited ... exactly how their ... rights are being violated, I'd actually be worried. But instead, it's just a vague "We're butt hurt and want you to stop" letter...."

Yep, that's how I see it too. The other party might be willing to escalate, but they might not. At this point, however, their complaint is "all hat, but no cattle."
I have never heard the expression "all hat, but no cattle" before. It is delightful. Can you please use it in some sentences so I can use it correctly? I am thinking it means, all show, no substance?

WeaversPort Likes This 
Old 06-07-2017, 08:37 PM   #33
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11359 Times on 5143 Posts
Likes Given: 5069

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedragon View Post
I have never heard the expression "all hat, but no cattle" before. It is delightful. Can you please use it in some sentences so I can use it correctly? I am thinking it means, all show, no substance?
You nailed it!

A person who wears fancy cowboy boots and expensive cowboy hats and likes to boast and brag, but doesn't have a clue about being a real cowboy, rancher, or farmer.

"That fella over there is all hat and no cattle."
Susie Likes This 
Old 06-08-2017, 05:14 AM   #34
BattleGnome

Liked 721 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedragon View Post
I have never heard the expression "all hat, but no cattle" before.
About an hour before DeeAnna posted it, I read about the phrase on a list of "extinct insults we need to start using" (or something similarly clickbatey)
People Like This 
Old 06-08-2017, 07:45 AM   #35
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7906 Times on 4357 Posts
Likes Given: 16635

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleGnome View Post
About an hour before DeeAnna posted it, I read about the phrase on a list of "extinct insults we need to start using" (or something similarly clickbatey)
They get me all the time when they say things like that!
And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. Luke 2:10-14
People Like This 
Old 06-09-2017, 12:10 AM   #36
TBandCW

Liked 245 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Yes, please keep us posted. I'm no lawyer, but I've used my Legal Shield membership a few times. Money well spent! I was going to suggest it till you mentioned you're a lawyer!

Note: There is a local band here named All Hat No Cattle!
Old 09-29-2017, 01:54 AM   #37
aharvick

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I’ve done graphic design for some time. People don’t search for products by packaging, they search by name. Wet Shaving Products sounds nothing like Dr. Squatch. This sounds like someone is have a hissy fit. There is a lot more to trademarks and copyrights than mere slight resemblances. He does not own the rights to the fonts, this I can tell you, nor any of the dividing border dingbats either. Put his image into google image search and see how many images pop up. This may be how they found your packaging and everyone else there got a letter as well. It only picks up slight similarities such as fonts or placement. This is how people search to find out if someone has profiles on other social sites or if others are using any logos resembling their trademarked designs. If you put your own photo in there, you can find out if anyone is using your photos as well! Always a good thing to check for.
Arimara Likes This 
Old 09-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #38
lsg
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 3183 Times on 2267 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I suggest that you pay a fee and consult an attorney. They can communicate with authority to the people who sent you the letter. One letter from your attorney should be all it takes to set them right.

Arimara Likes This