Anyone snowed in?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizflowers42

Reaction score
Hey East-Coasters, hope you are all safe! What are your blizzard plans for the weekend? Luckily where I live we have about 6-8 inches on the ground and not getting lake effect this weekend as far as I can tell. I am planning to capitalize on all the freshly fallen stuff and making more "snoawp" this weekend, along with using my porch as a place to non-gel!

I'm in Buffalo, New York area and we've only got about 8 inches or so but it's cold so Im going to stay in and soap to my hearts content. I may gather some snow to use in my soap just because I can but I would have to go outside to do that so maybe not!

Yes, -31C here with the windchill. Too cold to snow! Best wishes to those who are currently getting pummelled by this storm system. The big news here was that on 01 Jan Canada was colder than the South Pole and Winterpeg was colder than Mars.

I actually miss getting Lake effect snow. I really loved snow, so beautiful. And its prettier when it snows more frequently so you have nice white tops instead of dingy grey haha. But then I'm probably better off with the less snow, its a huge pain in the butt getting through slushy parking lots in a wheelchair. I just got some new tires with a bit of tread on them though which is helping! My old ones were rather smooth which results in less rolling resistance, but I ended up spinning out on some surfaces!

-39 to -50 all week. Warmed a bit last night so a blizzard with strong southerly winds set in. Two more feet of snow and 4ft drifts. "We ain't going nowhere." I'm inspired to make OMH soap so will send in my orders and head downstairs to clean-up and reorganize my workshop. Got hubby motivated to make me another 5lb 3" pvc pipe mold, which will give me 4 total and another 5lb loaf mold. BTW, I'm using thin acetate to line my pipe molds and they work beautifully. I also have plastic bags for 3" pipe molds from Chestnut Farms. They work beautifully and they're cheap and service is very fast. You slide your soap out of the mold and peel off the liner.

8:30am EST...more on it's way! Anyone need soft water for soap :)

DSCN1215 (2).jpg

Personally, I would rather deal with no snow at all and have the hassle of falling coconuts instead. :D

I keep telling my mother that she had better appreciate how much I love her. My job is in FL and I telecommute from WI. this is not looking like the right choice today.

I'm sad, we didn't get much where I'm at. I'm currently at my bfs place in Bloomington, so its a good place for me to be snowed in at. And we can make soap with the time. But nooo, we don't get the pretty snow (only a couple inches), just the bitter cold and wind :(

We only got about a foot and a half of snow today but now the cold bitter wind is picking up. It's howling outside. Tomorrow's high isn't supposed to get over zero. We lost power a couple of times but fortunately not for long. I'd have to make soap without a SB LOL Got two batches in this weekend. Got a 'snow day" off tomorrow so I may make a castille like everyone else is for their 2014 soap.

-39 to -50 all week. Warmed a bit last night so a blizzard with strong southerly winds set in. Two more feet of snow and 4ft drifts. "We ain't going nowhere." I'm inspired to make OMH soap so will send in my orders and head downstairs to clean-up and reorganize my workshop. Got hubby motivated to make me another 5lb 3" pvc pipe mold, which will give me 4 total and another 5lb loaf mold. BTW, I'm using thin acetate to line my pipe molds and they work beautifully. I also have plastic bags for 3" pipe molds from Chestnut Farms. They work beautifully and they're cheap and service is very fast. You slide your soap out of the mold and peel off the liner.

Miz Jenny I bought the same bags from Chestnut Farms and didn't use them. They didn't seem to fit my 3" pvc pipes very well so I was afraid of getting the wrinkle look on the sides of my soap. Do they fit better once you have the soap poured in them? Do you get wrinkles in your soap from them?

Miz Jenny I bought the same bags from Chestnut Farms and didn't use them. They didn't seem to fit my 3" pvc pipes very well so I was afraid of getting the wrinkle look on the sides of my soap. Do they fit better once you have the soap poured in them? Do you get wrinkles in your soap from them?

I pull the open end up over the lip of the pipe about an inch and secure with masking tape. I pour at light trace and tap it down occasionally to fill out any wrinkles. I prefer using the acetate but when I'm using all the pipes I also have to use the bags. With the acetate, I scrape after each batch and wash after a few batches.

I am in NC. May just get a little rain/ snow tomorrow. It is just going to create more problems with black ice. Tuesday the high is forecasted at 26 degrees F.

Frozen in, but not snowed in. I'm hoping my business will close tomorrow. It really seems dangerous to keep things open tomorrow if they do not need to be. More dangerous to be driving and out in this type of could than with snow on the roads. One breakdown or fender bender and you'll freeze your can off, literally.

Latest posts

Back